Good Fossil Books Free On Google

MarkGelbart

I've found two excellent books on Pleistocene fossils for free on google books.

They black out a few pages here and there, but at leat 90% of the books are available free for viewing.

One is Pleistocene Mammals of North America by Kurten and Anderson. I paid $60 for this about 15 years ago. It has lots of drawings and anatomical sketches of bones. And it lists fossil sites in each state from Blancan, Irvingtonian, and Rancholabrean periods. This books's been like a bible to me. The book was published in 1980 so it's a little dated but still invaluable.

The other book is entitled Additions to Pleistocene Mammals of South Carolina. This is much more recent and also has good information and sketches of fossil bones.

A third book intended for the layman is Bjorn Kurten's Before the Indians. I checked this one out at the library yesterday. There's no detailed sketches of anatomy but it has some good basic information.

All you have to do is go to google books and type in the title of the book.

Neat! And if you have a Google account, you can save them to your library

Wow, I knew nothing about this...thanks for posting! I'll check it out!!

Mary Ann and the boys

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834