Swedish Cephalopod

LordTrilobite

This nautiloid is from Kinnekulle in Southern Sweden. In that perticular quarry you normaly find lots of trilobites and straight Orthocones. This is the first I've seen from that location that is spiral-shaped.

It's from the lower Ordovician.

The diameter is about 3 cm.

I can't seem to find any information about early nautiloids from that general location on the internet or in books. So I was wondering if any of you have an idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-3991-037603900 1284580622_thumb.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is absolutely stunning. Love it. Unfortunately I have more of a reptilian and amphibian background, so I can't offer any help there. However, I do like the name "Swedish Cephalopod" so I am going to use that as my nickname for this week.

i can strait out say its some sort of curled shell sephalopod(obviose)

maybe a hamite

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

This nautiloid is from Kinnekulle in Southern Sweden. In that perticular quarry you normaly find lots of trilobites and straight Orthocones. This is the first I've seen from that location that is spiral-shaped.

It's from the lower Ordovician.

The diameter is about 3 cm.

I can't seem to find any information about early nautiloids from that general location on the internet or in books. So I was wondering if any of you have an idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

If your command of German is good enough, I'd suggest you log in here:

http://www.steinkern.de/forum/index.php

Go to the Threads on the Palaeozoicum and you'll meet some nice, helpful and knowledeable fellows there who may be able to help you further. I specialize more in the Jurassic, so I'm afraid I can't help you much here myself.

Good luck, Roger.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

nevermind, hamites were way later then the ordavician, but is is some sort of cephalopod

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

i can strait out say its some sort of curled shell sephalopod(obviose)

maybe a hamite

When I google hamite, I get hamites Ammonites.

My fossil however is not an Ammonite. They didn't exist in the Ordovician.

Finding information about Ammonites isn't that difficult generally, but early Nautiloids are a lot harder to find.

If your command of German is good enough, I'd suggest you log in here:

http://www.steinkern.de/forum/index.php

Go to the Threads on the Palaeozoicum and you'll meet some nice, helpful and knowledeable fellows there who may be able to help you further. I specialize more in the Jurassic, so I'm afraid I can't help you much here myself.

Good luck, Roger.

Alas, I can only understand some German. I could hardly form a sentence.

Found this googling - maybe a step in the right direction?

My link

See if any of these fit! :unsure:

Regards,

Upon further looking - maybe Aphetoceras?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, Ill have a look around with those names.

Edit: No I don't think Aphetoceras fits completely, as it says that one is from North America and Australia, while mine is European. Estonioceras seems to better fit the fossil. As far as I know Estonia has a lot of similar fossils compared to Sweden.

...or Boionautilus...

Boionautilus pdf

It says that one is from the Silurian though, much later.

I think I'll put it under Estonioceras sp.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It says that one is from the Silurian though, much later.

I think I'll put it under Estonioceras sp.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hello LordTrilobite,this is my Estonioceras from Oland Sweden Ordovician and a artistic picture about it that i found on the web!regards

post-2325-017765500 1284629030_thumb.jpg

post-2325-000102200 1284629059_thumb.jpg

Yes that does look quite similar. Though it seems that one is fatter. The one I have from Kinnekulle is more roundish in cross section. Though I have another Nautiloid which is also from Öland that is more eliptical in cross section like yours seems to be. But Öland also has many similar finds to that of Kinnekulle.

Really wonderfull fossil btw.

here two example photos from Palle Gravensen book "Fossiliensammeln in Südskandinavien"

The grey one is Estonioceras sp. from Ordovician, Osterplana, Orthocerenkalk, Kinnekulle, Narke, more than 2 inches in lenght

The color one, from Lower Ordovician (Oland - Tremadoc or Arenig), is labeled Estonioceras cf. decheni from South of Byerums Raukar

:D

post-1112-092615300 1284637495_thumb.jpg

post-1112-053961700 1284638029_thumb.jpg

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Archived