Calling All Nerds

chrisrobertson

It is a rock. There are areas that look like sutures but tho overall shape doesn't look like any skull I've seen. More in focus pics of the ends may help and some info about where its from will help with the age.

I wish I could look at that in the hand; the aforementioned "sutures" are real interesting, and I can just make out some other interesting things on the better lit part of the end in the 4th picture. Can you post a sharper pic of that area?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wish I could look at that in the hand; the aforementioned "sutures" are real interesting, and I can just make out some other interesting things on the better lit part of the end in the 4th picture. Can you post a sharper pic of that area?

ok, hang on

looks like a well-worn piece of a cretaceous ammonite to me...

thought of that but the "sutures" are oriented the wrong way OR it was a huge ammonite and only a small portion survived...

That repeating pattern on the thicker end may be a fossil, can't tell from the pic.

looks like a well-worn piece of a cretaceous ammonite to me...

someone please teach this guy how to use macro!

His profile says he's from alabama...which could mean Prairie Bluff Chalk Formation Cretaceous Marine...

Chris, you might try setting your find on a non-moving surface to photograph it. The combination of camera hand shake and holding your find tends to blur fine details. Also, you might switch the camera mode to macro (usually indicated by a tulip icon).

:)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Really? Even with the fissures running down the side??? They run all the way through it.

And the only camera I have is with my droid phone cam.

And the only camera I have is with my droid phone cam.

For a phone cam, that's pretty good!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

ok, i retract my always hasty assessmentnocitatiousness of its potentiometric possibilinessitude.

i now think it's a rock doing a bad imitation of a sutured and therefore interesting cretaceous Thingamajig sp.

I messed with the 4th pic a little; here are the patterns that caught my eye:

post-423-007724800 1284862184_thumb.jpg

Are they there, or is it an artifact of the lighting?

Redo the 2nd pic at the top of the posts. Those sure look like ammonite sutures. The other angles do look like just a rock.

post-4105-028275400 1284862310_thumb.jpg

post-4105-089915600 1284862350_thumb.jpg

I messed with the 4th pic a little; here are the patterns that caught my eye:

post-423-007724800 1284862184_thumb.jpg

Are they there, or is it an artifact of the lighting?

Its there, I never noticed that part.

Really? Even with the fissures running down the side??? They run all the way through it.

yea, Ive seen fissures (subtle name change there) like these in marbles and travertine.

"but it has pores" ;)

I think the resemblance is superficial; there is no sign of bone structure in the broken end of your item, and the "suture" line would still be unexplained.

Don't believe they're sutures. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. The purpose of a suture is exactly that, to suture, to tie together the two ajacent segments. If you look at the angles and interaction between the two sides, there is no suturing.

^^^^ Using a word to define or not-define itself may be confusing to others.

I think I know what you mean though.....I was looking at it, thinking that, even though the first thing that came to my mind was Ammonite sutures, I'm not sure if it looks 'organized' enough.

Usually, Ammonite sutures seem to have some kind of predictable pattern ....eventually, once it goes far enough, you can see it either repeat or at least it will start to look like each separate jagged line somehow 'works together' as part of something that has purpose (accidentally through evolution, of course, but a found-purpose, nonetheless).

This thing though....it just looks kinda random.

I guess one more question would be... is there more than one 'line' of this suture feature, parallel with this one, or is this the only one on this piece (not that just one would be problematic)?

If there is another parallel 'suture' line, does it somewhat follow along with this one in a closely mirrored pattern, or is it completely different?

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce