Shark Tooth? Found On Beach In Fl

MarvinD

First, please excuse my total ignorance. I'm not a collector of anything, just a dad with a curious 7-year-old son who dug up this little thing while playing at the beach.

Like I said, my son found this while digging in the sand at the beach here in Naples, Florida. He thinks it's a shark tooth. He came running up to us, rather excited about it. I don't know if it's actually a shark's tooth, but it sure looks like a tooth of some kind. We searched the web, but couldn't figure it out. Most of the pictures of shark teeth I see online look less "hooked" and more symmetrical. I did my best to take pictures of it - sorry if they're not the best quality. I'll describe it as best I can as well.

It's 1/2" wide, just under 3/4" long, and 1/8" thick. Completely black. Very hard. It's triangular-shaped, but hooks to one side. The side it hooks toward is serrated, the other side is not. There are ridges that run down the "tooth" from the top toward the point, but they stop a little past the midpoint. The top part, where the root of the tooth would be, has tiny little spongy-looking holes that resemble bone marrow. It's rather sharp on both sides. When you run the tip and serrated side across your hand, it's not hard to imagine it would do a great job of ripping flesh!

Is this a shark tooth? If so, any idea how old it is, or what kind of shark? Thanks in advance for any replies - my son is very excited to know what he found. Even if it's something common, it's good that it has him excited and thinking. He's autistic and rarely shows much emotion, so we're quite pleased. He's talking about starting a fossil collection and going on "fossil hunts." :)

cimg1264a800.jpg

cimg1267a800.jpg

cimg1259a800.jpg

cimg1263a800.jpg

cimg1261a800.jpg

Edited by MarvinD

Yes, it's a shark tooth. It's very worn, but it's from a snaggletooth shark, Hemipristis serra and they are quite common. If it gives your son some happiness, that's all that matters

post-77-079717800 1285062437_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Yes, it's a shark tooth. It's very worn, but it's from a snaggletooth shark, Hemipristis serra and they are quite common. If it gives your son some happiness, that's all that matters

Thanks very much for the reply. My son was so happy this morning before school to learn that the thing he found was indeed a shark tooth. He can't wait to go back to the beach and search some more. It's wonderful to see him so excited about something. Thanks again!

Thanks very much for the reply. My son was so happy this morning before school to learn that the thing he found was indeed a shark tooth. He can't wait to go back to the beach and search some more. It's wonderful to see him so excited about something. Thanks again!

The joy of youthful discovery is a wonder to behold.. You always love that first time with Dad on a beach....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Tell your son we can't wait to see more of his finds. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi, I'm in Naples too. I recommend going on a trip with Mark Renz to the Peace River. He is an excellent guide and author. www.fossilexpeditions.com In another couple months, the Peace River water levels will be prime for fossil hunting. If you have a couple extra bucks, a trip with Mark is well worth it. You will come home with many interesting teeth and other finds.