Show Us Your Sponges

JimB88

Fissispongia? sp.

Argentine Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

The sponges are ~3 mm across:

post-6808-0-19849900-1384582108_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-83929300-1384582109_thumb.jpg

The white encrusting stuff is possibly Tubiphytes.

Context is critical.

Hehehehe!

This is my area of interest! I have near a thousand specimens from all over the world and always looking for more to add to my collection. I also have a remarkable collection of exetent porifera. Dr. Rigby and Bob Cooper both got me started in this area almost twenty years a go.

Post some more pictures of what you got folks!

My sponge-albums:

1. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1603-sponges-hexactinellida/

2. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1813-sponges-undescribed-species/

3. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1802-sponges-calcarea/

4. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1624-sponges-demospongia/

My sponge-topic:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/35071-fossil-sponges-from-russia/

Hehehehe!

This is my area of interest! I have near a thousand specimens from all over the world and always looking for more to add to my collection. I also have a remarkable collection of exetent porifera. Dr. Rigby and Bob Cooper both got me started in this area almost twenty years a go.

Post some more pictures of what you got folks!

Show us your remarkable collection of Porifera :)

post-5678-0-91934400-1384792048_thumb.jpg

Unprepared specimen

Barroisia anastomosans

Cretaceous - Albian - Lower Greensand

Faringdon, Oxfordshire, England

post-5678-0-99798300-1384792150_thumb.jpg

Ventriculites chonoides

Cretaceous - Upper Turonian

Latimer, Buckinghamshire, England

post-5678-0-08824200-1384796709_thumb.jpg

post-5678-0-31262800-1384796763_thumb.jpg

Known but not yet identified in my collection

Castle Hayne Formation

Middle to Late Eocene - (Bartonian/Priabonian)

Ideal Cement Pits - North Carolina, USA

post-5678-0-08871900-1384796790_thumb.jpg

Titusvillia drakei

Cussewago Beds

Mississippian - Tournaisian

Titusville, Crawford County, Pennsylvania

post-5678-0-69799500-1384797292_thumb.jpg

Hindia sphaeroidalis

Beach River Formation

Silurian

Tennesee

Fascinating, I would not have even recognized some of those as sponges! Shows you what I know.

Did that Hindia just happen to split fortuitously on its own?

:popcorn:

I under estimated the size of my collection by half. It appears to be well over two thousand specimens. I'm in the process of moving and the collection all boxed up is 4' X 4' by 30" tall, so about 36 square feet.

Nice sponges, docpaleo.

I under estimated the size of my collection by half. It appears to be well over two thousand specimens. I'm in the process of moving and the collection all boxed up is 4' X 4' by 30" tall, so about 36 square feet.

Do you have any (unpacked) Pennsylvanian sponges to show us?

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...

Belemnospongia have long been considered holdfasts (Hinde, 1891) or root tufts, but the 2004 Treatise states: "its consistently circular outline and apparent lack of attachment to another part of a sponge suggest that it represents the entire sponge."

IMG1.jpg

Finks, R.M., & Rigby, J.K. (2004)

Paleozoic Demosponges.

Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Part E, Porifera (revised)

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 1 month later...

.. I am including some type of encrusting sponges that I found.. Pennsylvanian in age.. (Texas)

My hunting buddy Lance and I find these in the Graham Formation..

Unknown at this time of exactly what they are..

attachicon.gif101_1886.JPG

attachicon.gif100_1228-1.JPG

I spotted something similar called Incrustospongia while browsing through the updated (2004) porifera volume of the 'Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology'. I Googled it and found this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&biw=1065&bih=710&tbm=isch&tbnid=aKzN8kOpPqvZXM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Farchives.datapages.com%2Fdata%2Fcspg_sp%2Fdata%2F017%2F017001%2Ffigs%2Fcspgsp0170967-fg2.htm&docid=QAKyeZX6OzRdtM&itg=1&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Farchives.datapages.com%2Fdata%2Fcspg_sp%2Fdata%2F017%2F017001%2Ffigs%2Fcspgsp0170967-fg2.jpg&w=700&h=876&ei=z1_oUpXSIMrkyAHY8YDwBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=421&page=1&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=0CFQQrQMwAA

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Here is a nice glass sponge from the Chemung Formation, Lower Devonian of Almond, New York (RR Cut) Clathospongia sp.

Very nice. I love when I can tell what I'm looking at in a fossil.

Chemung is Upper Devonian, is it not?

That looks like quite a bit like it, Mitch! I sent a few pieces to an expert well over a year ago. He said

he would look. I contacted him several months after mailing them and he hadn't had a chance to look.

Out of curiosity I will followup..

Welcome to the forum!

Ok, that Jeffords paper shows the cup side of a "Palaeacis" coral (plate 1, fig 1a) BUT the backside (plate 1, fig 1b) of the coral looks nothing like the actual backside of a "Palaeacis" coral that is found commonly at Jacksboro and in the Texas Penn Fossil book.

In fact the backside looks exactly like the encrusting organism (also figure 3) that we've found covering other stuff. Roz has posted 3 good examples and they are not even shaped like "Palaeacis" anyways under the surface.

I think Jeffords has linked two fossils as one.

attachicon.gifMissCorals-mistake-redo.jpg

Jeffords or whoever must have found a "Palaeacis" with the encrsuting thing on back and assumed it was part of it. I've seen one of the mystery things that look just like figure 1b where the edge (blue line) is raised forming an irregular shaped bowl except it was on the backside of a smooth shell. Roz also has an example of it wrapped around the core of horn coral.

The question is still what the heck is it?

So we now have an answer to what the heck are those encrusting things on our Pennsylvanian fossils. A friend shared a copy of the paper with me.

A Late Pennsylvanian Encruster: Terminal Paleozoic Calcified Demosponge?, Ann Molineux, Pangea: Global Environments and Resources — Memoir 17, 1994, Pages 967-982, Biostratigraphy

She has erected a new genus and species: Incrustospongia meandrica n. gen. and n. sp.. The family and order are Incertae sedis and the class is questionably Demospongia, but she is pretty sure these are sponges. They appear to range from late Desmoinesian to early Virgilian time. I know I have many from the Finis Shale (Virgilian) here in Texas.

PS yes, it is encrusting the backs of the Paleacis sp. corals in that New Mexico paper

Edited by erose

Science marches on! Very interesting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Internal structure of a sponge from the Holderness coast, East Yorkshire.

I found it in the surface of the boulder clay that makes up the Holderness coast, the next high tide would have destroyed the intricate rare trace fossil.

The outside sponge is flint that has degraded and left behind the chalk infill.

Tabfish

post-3083-0-92060000-1392152010_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Maybe somebody can identify these Pennsylvanian Period sponges me and Roz found in Wise county, Texas. I think the geologic unit is Devil's Den LS or there about.

Some of these look a bit like like "Heliospongia" but not exactly.

Can someone ID these or check the Treatise Part E Porifera? I've checked the 6 sources I have but no match I'm comfortable with.

A

post-11-0-15136500-1402594845_thumb.jpg

B

post-11-0-11772300-1402594859_thumb.jpg

C
post-11-0-68087300-1402594878_thumb.jpg

Thanks!