New Ammonite In The Collection

Terry Dactyll

Heres a new addition to the old collection.....

Coroniceras charlsei... 17 " Lower Jurassic... Lyme Regis Dorset

post-1630-035801500 1285838879_thumb.jpg post-1630-082224400 1285838948_thumb.jpg

post-1630-072215200 1285838896_thumb.jpg

Edit.... I think there are elements of origonal nacre preserved within the calcite on top of a rib and a small triangular piece....

post-1630-039546800 1285839955_thumb.jpg post-1630-071767300 1285839968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Drooling over here! You rock. :bow:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Its totaly awesome and big!!!!!

i love ammos :wub:

O and i was wondering what is that sliver of shell that is at the mouth of the living chamber?

Extremely nice, will send shipping address.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks for your intrest Guys & Gal's..... I'll be adding a little nautilus to the old collection next....I'll post you a pic....

Roz.... theres a little reconstruction about a half an inch wide strip that covers most of the upper left hand quadrant's outer edge where the sea had worn away the ammonite and keel... and the very centre of the shell was crushed which I carved back into the rock...so not quite complete having about 3% reconstruction but looking good now....

Frozen Turkey.... the slither of shell is the remnants of the body chamber wall that had crushed or collapsed....Its big but I got loads to do bigger....

Roger.... you'd be very welcome although the fossils only stay out there for the photograph :)

Steve,

Congratulations on another beauty! :wub:

Man,... you do an awesome job! :D

Thanks for sharing! :)B)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

what a find!! ammos are scarse over here but i really wouldnt mind finding one like that!!thats like the most perfect ammo ever :wub:

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

what a find!! ammos are scarse over here but i really wouldnt mind finding one like that!!thats like the most perfect ammo ever :wub:

You think that ones good then you need to see his other ones.

he has better better ammo's?!? :o

Go to his profile and check out his content. He has some cool stuff there. B)

Thanks everyone....Glad you like it.... I enjoy seeing all your fossils and reading everyones contributions to....

Heres the little nautilus I mentioned Ive added to the collection.... It had been crushed in places and the sea had beat it up but its turned into something displayable...

post-1630-047679000 1286032742_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys.... The ammonite is 56lb and the nautilus is 32 lb.... roughly double that prior to prep....

• 2 weeks later...

hello mate people find great stuff like that on the cleveland cliffs i think we are on the same geological timeline, what i cant understand is me and my doughters pick up the same local fossil sea life on the surface of fifty ft soil and red clay deposits.? tara for now heath.

beck man

Barnes.... During the last iceage the ice sheet covering Britain moved in a north to south direction .... Redcar, possibly north of where you are talking of where you find these fossils has the same lower jurassic strata (Identical beds) as the fossils that I find down south in Lyme Regis Dorset, hence the similarity in what you find....so basically the weight of the ice sheet and rocks that had attached to it ground them out of their insitu siltstone beds and carried the fossils south....finally depositing them amongst the rest of the red glacial clays/till and pebbles.....

There are some very nice fossils found as 'glacial erratics'.... along the east coast......Heres a 'glacial erratic' in my collection a chunk of the Semicostatum layer... Lower Jurassic containing the ammoniteArnioceras Semicostatum found south of Whitby on the Holderness Coast....possibly originating from the Robin Hoods Bay area....

post-1630-053361400 1286957368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

That is a great find! What a beauty. How much of it did you need to prep out?

I'm a bit jealous... the glaciers over here weren't as kind!

Tim