New Ammonite In The Collection

Terry Dactyll

Tim..... I didnt personally find this one I 'traded' for it.... one carb exposure I collected yeilded quite an abundance of material and I offloaded some in exchange for this.... you can see why huh :D ... It was prepped by a guy in the UK who has had many years experience and turns out some beautiful stuff....he also sells prep equipment and has a website....

http://www.kenmannion.co.uk/

So to answer your question I dont know how long it took and I 'think' the rock was split into 2 pieces using a stil saw and then wedged apart with chisels and the most populated half was prepped ( I'm only guessing)...... the unprepped rock itself did the rounds and was back and to between a couple of preppers exchanging hands for a few hundred pounds each time and eventually Ken Mannion sat down and tackled it.... I was told by a very good source it is the most 'densely populated' chunk of semicostatum zone to come off the Holderness coast.... I've never seen another to make me think any different.... I have a similar chunk of exactly the same ammonite from Lyme Regis, Dorset....one day I will try and tackle it....

PS... I get your question now... every single rib on every single ammonite would of contained matrix.... they are quite 'sticky' so a lot of rock....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

alopias.... Thanks for your intrest.... yes you cant beat a nice Arnioceras....

Heres a couple more from different UK localities....

Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire Arnioceras Semicostatumpost-1630-038290800 1287043804_thumb.jpg

North Somerset Coast Arnioceras Bodleyi

post-1630-071716000 1287043880_thumb.jpg

Scunthorpe North Lincolnshire Arnioceras Sp.

post-1630-080904600 1287043939_thumb.jpg

Blackven Lyme Regis Dorset Arnioceras Sp.

post-1630-070239200 1287044006_thumb.jpg

Heres that chunk from West of Lyme Regis Dorset I mentioned... on the 'to do' list...Very often from this side of Lyme they are crushed, this must be a nodular lens that did'nt...

post-1630-091239900 1287044136_thumb.jpg post-1630-050541900 1287044149_thumb.jpg

thats where that went !!! got car jacked in liverpool they took that the cd and me wallet let me no if you find the rest mate.;):):P tara for now beck man

beck man

Ahh you don't want that one, it's not good enough for your collection. Send the poor battered thing to me. :D

:drooling 38:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi Terry Dactyll,

You find awesome pieces!!!!..........of course, I take account how long it takes to have one piece prepped.

Eureka

Beckman.... lol.... I thought they only took hubcaps...

BFG.... Your names on it as soon as Ive finished with it...

Eureka.... Thanks... We are blessed with some great fossil exposures in the UK...

MikeD.... Thanks.... lol...

Something new....

post-1630-015608800 1287329544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

An absolute gorgeous ammonite!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Beckman.... lol.... I thought they only took hubcaps...

na theyve evolved since the eighties,must av thought it was the spare wheel! tara mate;)

BFG.... Your names on it as soon as Ive finished with it...

Eureka.... Thanks... We are blessed with some great fossil exposures in the UK...

MikeD.... Thanks.... lol...

Something new....

post-1630-015608800 1287329544_thumb.jpg

beck man

This is the one with the ammonite patina on.... This shells beyond pretty.. :) .. its absolutely beautiful, loaded with pyrite, black calcite with touches of mahogany… Its only the 2nd of this species I have come across Coroniceras reynesi, 16 “ Lyme Regis...

post-1630-050485600 1287672164_thumb.jpg

You cant see the pyrite with the poor lighting today it just looks jet black so the picture dont do it justice....Coroniceras reynesi Lyme Regis Dorset

post-1630-029264000 1288115911_thumb.jpg

And another rock landed on the table, I wonder what could be inside... it has a big chunk of wood on the back, but I think im going to have to lose it to get some weight of the finished shell...

post-1630-000866300 1288115929_thumb.jpg

You really bring those things to life. Great job! :bow:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

BFG.... Thanks for your intrest, I enjoy bringing them back to life (well cant stop myself infact)... Is there such a thing as fossil OCD :D

BFG.... Thanks for your intrest, I enjoy bringing them back to life (well cant stop myself infact)... Is there such a thing as fossil OCD :D

Yes, there is such a thing as fossil OCD and it's so wonderful! :D

Alfred North Whithead

Yes, there is such a thing as fossil OCD and it's so wonderful! :D

Tell me about it.... :D heres a little project on the go....

post-1630-045000000 1288467287_thumb.jpg

Hey Steve, looks like those darn cephalopods are continuing to keep you very busy! Very nice new material/photos! I dont remember asking or seeing...Do you have any with predator or congenital anomalies or the so called dreaded after death limpet damage that I read about recently? :D Keep up the stellar work! Regards, Chrs

Chris.... I have had quite mild pathalogical deformities on a few shells resulting in changes in rib sizes etc... with the most obvious being this one on the upper RH edge of the outer whorl.... I dont have this shell anymore I had to trade it in to aquire something rarther special plus some other stuff... Its the one I liked the least at the time ... Collection needs must etc etc.... So if anyone owns it (sorry for posting a photo of your shell) :)

post-1630-054366700 1288541639_thumb.jpg

Preditory marks.... not that I'm aware of (bitemarks as such) although I always thought the mouth of this 22" North Somerset Coast Vermiceras was a very strange shape as if something had surgically removed the critter from the shell...

post-1630-065038100 1288541757_thumb.jpg post-1630-060137300 1288541781_thumb.jpg

I havent heard of the afterdeath limpet damage so maybe you can expand on this...

Chris.... I have had quite mild pathalogical deformities on a few shells resulting in changes in rib sizes etc... with the most obvious being this one on the upper RH edge of the outer whorl.... I dont have this shell anymore I had to trade it in to aquire something rarther special plus some other stuff... Its the one I liked the least at the time ... Collection needs must etc etc.... So if anyone owns it (sorry for posting a photo of your shell) :)

post-1630-054366700 1288541639_thumb.jpg

Preditory marks.... not that I'm aware of (bitemarks as such) although I always thought the mouth of this 22" North Somerset Coast Vermiceras was a very strange shape as if something had surgically removed the critter from the shell...

post-1630-065038100 1288541757_thumb.jpg post-1630-060137300 1288541781_thumb.jpg

I havent heard of the afterdeath limpet damage so maybe you can expand on this...

Hey Steve, thanks for the additional photos. Always wondering how things got that way--quite fascinating! On the limpet damage, I read a discussion somewhere (my darn "i" key keeps sticking/dropping letters--UGGH!) ...anyways, apparently folks were looking into mosasaur bite damage on ammonite shells and based on some lack of radial cracks around holes thought to be caused by these predators piercing teeth there were other ways to have holes show up in ammonite shells. It was being proposed that limpets had somehow attached themselves to dead ammonites on the floor bottom and those attachments had formed holes/degraded the ammonite shells in spots and their subsequent burial/preservation resulted in complete holes in ammonite shells formerly attributed to bite marks. Not sure there was a final word on this discussion or if both scenarios do exist in current thought. If I find those docs I'll shoot you some links....Could be one of the legions of our ammonite lovers on the forum can provide a link to a full document. So many these days require subscriptions to see more than just the abstract!

Enough of the ramblings from plantguy....gots to go mow the yard and do my chores! Thanks again for the extra photos! Regards, Chris

;)

Tell me about it.... :D heres a little project on the go....

post-1630-045000000 1288467287_thumb.jpg

steve see yav found the rest of me gear from that car jack in liverpool.:P but seriously mate u must av a time machine;) tara for now beckman.

beck man

Chris..... Cheers for bringing it to my attention.... I did a bit of googling and found out more... the gradual application of pressure from the jaw coupled with the internal 'stiffening' of the shell by the sutures (flotation chamber walls) results in the shell being pierced and not shattered.... leaving the holes you describe... Limpits can wear away certain areas as you see on the rocks where you go fossiling by the sea... very possible both scenarios happened, with the first one being more commong Ider thought....

SharkTeethCollector.... Thanks... They are nice shells and the finished fossil is well worthy of the effort in my books...

beckman.... a time machine.... Now that would be intresting... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think I missed out some pictures somewhere.... Theres a little chunk of rock on this one that keeps it mouth up.... maybe good for a bit of a hollow out... ;)

post-1630-065791500 1289330705_thumb.jpg