New Ammonite In The Collection

Terry Dactyll

Cheers guys... I got 2 more things bugging me to deal with to bring upto standard then I can settle again for a while... :mellow:

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 2 weeks later...

That is a sweet ammonite, I want one! I've found large cretaceous ammonites in Alabama but that is just awesome. That thing was probably huge. I have found large ammonites which would have continued into a 4' or 6' spiral if they had completely fossilized. The ammolite is all that made it on some outside areas and you can see the impressions left behind. Here is a video link to an ammonite I found recently in one of the creeks in Alabama. Thanks Steve! http://userpages.xfoneusa.net/~mwguy/ammonites.html

Lonewuff... Thanks... a 4' - 6' ammonite must of been a very impressive sight drifting about in the sea...Theres a few mud casts that been found in Lyme Regis approaching 3' and there are of course 'Titanites' as the name suggests are large from Portland but unfortunately just out of my collecting horizon... I might pick a big one up one day though just to go through the motions of prepping one for the experience... ;)

Great video to by the way... Thanks for sharing it... :)

That thing is simply amazing! The only other places I've seen such a large and beautiful ammonite are at museums!

Glad you like it thanks for your kind words... :) Ive done all my reprep's now but I'm too busy househunting to do any more shells at the moment...

Hey Steve, the two Psiloceras species plate is a really super nice find. Glad to also see the recent behemoth ammonite additions! Still awestruck to see the before and after shots...great stuff!

Hope the househunting goes well for you. Regards, Chris

Chris... Thanks, and glad you like it...It didnt quite start out life that shape it just needed tweaking for maximum asthetic appeal :D ... And welcome back posting... Its really nice to read you and hear from you again... I hope you let me know how the pond is going ;)

Well, hats off to you Steve, once again, you've beautified another Ammonite! Hope the move gets sorted soon, so you can collect more frequently in Somerset. Will you stop Carboniferous hunting when the move occurs?

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Joe... Thanks...Nodular carb material wont be accessible but I have seen some really stunning hard shale carb plant material from Somerset... and what makes it all the more interesting from the investigations and trips I have done so far show the fern species are quite different to the common ones up north... so it will be like starting collecting carb again... Oh theres insects been found too in one layer apparently... and any new exposures I miss up north my friend said he will sort me out a good representational sample of the material... so alls good, but your right, more coastal walks hopefully :D