Old Or New Turtle?

Foshunter

This came from Tera's creek (barefoot girl) years ago and have always wondered if it was new old or old old and not being a turtlier, think that might be a word, don't have a clue even as what species. The creek has shallow water areas but nothing that would be an environment for even short term habitat for a turtle. Need some help, think it is interesting whether old or new. Some pieces have a blackish sandstone matrix on the back.--Tom

post-3940-086340000 1285858137_thumb.jpg

post-3940-025780900 1285858188_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This came from Tera's creek (barefoot girl) years ago and have always wondered if it was new old or old old and not being a turtlier, think that might be a word, don't have a clue even as what species. The creek has shallow water areas but nothing that would be an environment for even short term habitat for a turtle. Need some help, think it is interesting whether old or new. Some pieces have a blackish sandstone matrix on the back.--Tom

Second picture

post-3940-048348500 1285858259_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

That's an awful big turtle fragment to be new...doesn't look like the large living species we have here. :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Second picture

This piece is not recent.It appears to be be from a land turtle or tortoise.

The size of the scute is too large to belong to any of the extant box turtles.

Extinct box turtles were consideraby larger than the ones of today.

Second picture

In a hurry to get to the beach and neglected to show some dimensions, cross section is the bottom left piece--Tom

post-3940-070290800 1285880241_thumb.jpg

post-3940-067310400 1285880247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

Very nice finds! What you have are fossils from the Giant Land Tortoise, Hesperotestudo crassiscutata. These went extinct in the Pleistocene, so the answer to your question is definitely "old". The bone in your second post is a nuchal "scute". I meant to take some pictures of the differences between turtle and tortoise nuchals earlier today, but forgot. Skulls and nuchals are normally the only two parts of a turtle/tortoise that is diagnostic enough to identify down to a species.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Very nice finds! What you have are fossils from the Giant Land Tortoise, Hesperotestudo crassiscutata. These went extinct in the Pleistocene, so the answer to your question is definitely "old". The bone in your second post is a nuchal "scute". I meant to take some pictures of the differences between turtle and tortoise nuchals earlier today, but forgot. Skulls and nuchals are normally the only two parts of a turtle/tortoise that is diagnostic enough to identify down to a species.

Thanks for the ID always wondered about it, to bad nothing fits together but the creek gives and takes away.--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

• 1 year later...

Tom,

I need a cast of a giant tortoise (Hesperotestudo) nuchal for our comparative collection. Would you be interested in allowing us to mold your specimen?

George Phillips

Museum of Natural Science

Jackson, Mississippi