March Finds From The Nj Cretaceous

non-remanié

This represents the best of 6 collecting trips worth of finds from NJ. I was collecting the Campanian Wenonah formation. The digging was definitely not easy and I was sore each Monday afterwards :) Ask if you'd like to know what something is.

-steve

post-382-1210030228_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030240_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030247_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030283_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030265_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030340_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030257_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030312_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030305_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030292_thumb.jpg

post-382-1210030299_thumb.jpg

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Wow, kind of makes me glad to live in the Soprano State!!!

That is an awesome collection. They don't call you "Toothpuller" for nothing!! :P

Mary Ann

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Wow, beautiful collection.

On the 9th pic down, some things like like an iron from 100 years ago, what are those?

And those round fossils with black pits?

And is that a trigger fish tooth with the white root? I may have one of those from AR.

Welcome to the forum!

Yowza! I want to hunt teeth in New Jersey!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Wow, beautiful collection.

On the 9th pic down, some things like like an iron from 100 years ago, what are those?

And those round fossils with black pits?

And is that a trigger fish tooth with the white root? I may have one of those from AR.

The small iron-shaped things are dermal scutes of the cow-nosed rays, Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis & Rhombodus laevis.

I'm not sure about the round fossil with black pits, but if it is the bone located in the top right corner of the third from the bottom picture, then that is some sort of turtle neural scute.

By the tooth with the white root I think you are referring to the same pic, third from the bottom located at the top & center of the picture? They look like little claws? Those would be 2 oral or "nibbling" teeth of the pycnodont fish, Anomaeodus phaseolus.

-steve

Thanks, Steve

Yes, I was looking at ones that looked like small claws. I can't believe how much the nibbling teeth look like

trigger fish teeth to me.

Cow-nosed rays, dermal scutes, think I may not find those here.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, Steve

Yes, I was looking at ones that looked like small claws. I can't believe how much the nibbling teeth look like

trigger fish teeth to me.

Cow-nosed rays, dermal scutes, think I may not find those here.

They might be related to triggerfish. I am not sure. These used to be referred to as Stephanodus sp. from NJ but were changed to the pycnodont. I don't know why. But I think Stephanodus or maybe Hadrodus might actually be better. It seems triggerfish are listed in the same order (Tetraodontiformes) as Stephanodus and probably the rest. So there you go!

order Tetraodontiformes

family Trigonodontoidae Weiler 1929

genus Stephanodus Zittel 1883

As for the cow-nosed rays, both Brachyrhizodus and Rhombodus are listed in the Texas Cretaceous shark tooth book. So you should also be able to find their scutes SOMEWHERE in TX:)

-steve

Is that a large Protosphyraena tooth in the last photo along with the mosasaur tooth? If so it looks huge compared to the very few I have found in the cretaceous of Kansas.

post-40-1210043249_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Is that a large Protosphyraena tooth in the last photo along with the mosasaur tooth? If so it looks huge compared to the very few I have found in the cretaceous of Kansas.

It is a Protosphyraena tooth, but it isn't huge. The Mosasaur tooth is just small. The Protosphyraena is only a little over 1". But it is pretty neat since it is one of only a very few that have been reported from NJ. Very nice fins!!! We get a ton of sharks teeth here but its almost impossible to get anything articulated like you find in Kansas.

That's not a very good photo, but it's a fin on the bottom and a snout on the top. I found the fin about a half mile from my vehicle in the lower chalk, and carried it all the way carefully back, only to break it in half once inside the vehicle (bumpy roads). The snout came from the Fort Hays limestone.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Hey Toothpuller

Killer finds up your way. Very nice for Cretaceous material...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow great finds. That one sawfish rostrum tooth looks huge compared to the others. The largest I have found is only a little over an inch. How big is that one you got?

Wow great finds. That one sawfish rostrum tooth looks huge compared to the others. The largest I have found is only a little over an inch. How big is that one you got?

It is pretty big, almost 2". It is close to the largest I have found. Definitely the most pristine large one at least. The other large ones, a couple of which might be a tiny bit bigger, are all heavily abraded from reworking into Pleistocene-recent stream channel gravels.

-steve

• 1 month later...

woooo! great stuff!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

WOW - these are awesome. I do not find nearly the quality you did in a similar number of trips.

Nice work.

always digging for the truth...

PaleoDan

Very impressive w/r to both quantity and quality. Any teeth left in NJ for next month?? :D:D

It's a very nice collection. It would be very useful if your pictures had a scale bar or coin for reference.

WRC