Teeth ??

worthy 55

Darn, Worthy . . . you're killin' me with those unedited pix. I'm using a dial-up connection and it takes waaay too long to open your images.

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware at http://www.irfanview.com/ ).

You don't have to do anything fancy with the software, but the following things will improve anyone's images.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent bulbs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. This forum has a limit of 500 KB. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly 500 KB (I routinely use 450 KB for my images).

I'd like to see your images; please help me.

-------Harry Pristis :P

post-1-1191229816_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry, I am sorry about the pictures I will see what I can do to make them better. :-[ :) :)

post-1-1191229949_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191229968_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191229985_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

The basic criterion I use to discriminate bovine from camelid teeth is the presence of an extra enamel cone one one side as shown in your Teeth2 image.  This denotes a bovine tooth.  Bison or cow I can't tell you for sure.  Here in TX if I see that enamel cone and there is some matrix on the specimen or I pull it out of a bank that is obviously original Pleistocene deposit, I call it bison.  Antiquus, occidentalis, latifrons or other species determination is something I'll leave to the more astute among us.  If I don't see the enamel cone and it is bigger than a deer tooth I call it camelid, but again I can't tell a Paleolama from a Hemiauchenia tooth.  As for the front of the dentition camel canines are pretty easy but I can't comment on incisors.  Sorry that's about all I'm worth to you.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The details of camel teeth seem to me to be much different from Bovid teeth.

Notice in this image of a camel m2-m3 how simple (relatively) the walls of enamel are compared to Bovids (Bison, above).

Notice on the camel occusal surfaces (grinding surfaces where the upper and lower teeth meet) how the lacunae (gaps) between the crests (outer, labial cusps) and crescents (inner cusps) resemble simple, straight "smiles" (or "frowns" in this upside-down presentation). The analogous lacunae in the Bison teeth resemble limp dumbells.

The isolated pillar of enamel found on adult Bison teeth and generally not found on cow teeth is called, I believe, a "stylid." You can see it as a "donut" of enamel on the occlusal surface to at least one (left) of the Bison teeth in the image.

When I see plications (zig-sag folding) of the enamel in an Artiodactyl tooth, and I'm deciding between "camel" or "cow," I go for cow every time. Plications = Bovid.

------Harry Pristis

post-1-1191230133_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Now we are all learning something.  To me camel teeth look much more like deer teeth than bison/cow teeth.  That being said, is there an easy way to tell an adult deer tooth from a juvie camel/llama?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 2 years later...
Guest Smilodon

Are these teeth Camel,Cow or Bison?????

Great Photos!

The premolors are the dead give away.

You have a dental series of Hemiauchenia macrocephala.

Check out S. David Webb Pleistocene mammals of Florida 1974 pp 198 figure A.

Keep collecting.

Twynn Mammoth

Great Photos!

Keep collecting.

Twynn Mammoth

It looks like you have joined today, You were very active last night, As a novice , I am deeply interested in the variations between Bovids (Is it a cow or Bison) , Deer, Llamas, Camels, Equus etc etc in Florida. Mostly I find deer teeth.

You seem to have expertise... Welcome to the forum,

post-2220-076453100 1281796976_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great Photos!

Keep collecting.

Twynn Mammoth

Good reference. However, the majority of the teeth in question are bison.

Guest BOHUNTER

I didnt find this but I wanted it when I saw it for sure! I dont know if its Bison or Camel. Its just the prettiest brilliant yellow and black youve seen. I think it is actually missing a cusp too... darn! Otherwise nice case filler! Florida Fossil.

IMG_1119-1.jpg

IMG_1122-1.jpg

Edited by BOHUNTER

The tooth is complete and is from a sub-adult bison.

I agree the single, colorful tooth is a bison m3.

Here are some other m3 teeth for comparison:

post-42-048634100 1281913332_thumb.jpgpost-42-007121000 1281913348_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

• 9 months later...

Are these teeth Camel,Cow or Bison?????

All of them belongs to Bison... you can diferentiate them from another selenodonts in the unique possesion of a central pillar or stylid between the lobes, in the 'front' part of the tooth...

:)

It looks like you have joined today, You were very active last night, As a novice , I am deeply interested in the variations between Bovids (Is it a cow or Bison) , Deer, Llamas, Camels, Equus etc etc in Florida. Mostly I find deer teeth.

You seem to have expertise... Welcome to the forum,

The tooth are all from Bison... and the tooth you've posted it's from a deer...

This is a great identification thread. Thanks to all who contributed and to PleistoGuy for resurrecting it. :)

I sit here matching the M3 Hemiauchenia I found Tuesday to HarryPristis gorgeous pictures. Once again TFF rules.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 3 years later...

Popping this thread open again because I found a very nice m3 lower that is either Bison or Bos. and therein lies the rub.

Peace river is a rough and tumble environment that has a tendency to chip and break up teeth. For a tooth found in medium to heavy gravel, this is in great shape.

I have always liked this specific thread because it is very informative in differentiating Camel, Bison, and Cow to the extent that they can be differentiated. Plus I love the yellow coloration of the example Bison tooth above. My first reaction was/is Bison because of the stylid, but then I saw the lighter coloration on parts of the enamel easy to see in the last photo. That may imply a more modern origin.

I am flip-flopping and wish to see if someone has a more certain view. Thanks for all replies.

post-2220-0-96612500-1416954673_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-67707000-1416954683_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-66634700-1416954701_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-66506600-1416954728_thumb.jpg

EDITED: Occusal surface is 1.78 inches in length

Edited by Shellseeker

Harry,

Thanks for the excellent photos. I realize that I was trolling for a response from you and a couple of other TFF recognized experts in this space.

In comparing the teeth identified as Bison lower m3s within this thread, I notice a couple of differences between Bison and other teeth. 1st: all the Bison m3s we see have exactly 1 stylid, which is missing from both Camel and Bos and 2nd: Bison teeth are larger than Bos teeth.

Are either or both of those factors differentiating between Bison and Bos?

The more I look at this tooth that I found yesterday, the more it looks like a fossil than a modern.

Bison and Bos both have isolated stylids. In Bison, the stylids are robust. In Bos, the stylids are less robust, tending to break away in teeth that have lost the cementum wrapper.

In this well-worn Bos m3, the isolated stylid is represented by a remnant loop of enamel on the occlusal surface.

post-42-0-96339800-1417031800_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else