Unknown Tooth And Possible Foot Bone?

peacefossil

Peace river by zolfo springs.

1/4 screen mesh.

Not sure on this tooth has me spun five ways.

hello mate think the tooth is upper horse molar (back) have somthing similer.tara for now heath.post-4008-006858400 1286746790_thumb.jpgpost-4008-045064500 1286746797_thumb.jpg

beck man

Looks correct, mine is just worn down. The curve of mine didn't seem to fit horse though.

Anyone on the other item?

a lot of pieces of bone that you might find will have been so tumbled by active water that there just aren't enough features left to identify. this seems to be one of those bones. having said that, the fine grain and very limited "spongy bone" showing pushes me sort of toward thinking maybe sirenian bone, like from a dugong or manatee. those animals have "thickened" bones (called pachyostosis), probably for reasons having to do with buoyancy and limited need for structural strength due to their somewhat sedentary nature. (do i anthropomorphize? very well then i anthropomorphize.)

so anyway...

:rolleyes:

The teeth on the left could be bison/cow. B)B)B):)

yeah, and i think a see a stylid peeking from the one on the lower right too. not the precise comparative material for this specimen. hang on a sec...

yeah, and i think a see a stylid peeking from the one on the lower right too. not the precise comparative material for this specimen. hang on a sec...

Yes, that one also and the rest look like horse. B)B)B):)

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

ok, well, for the occlusal surface, then check here.

i don't really want to be rude and link to someone's veterinary practice for fossil references, but say by chance you were to search google images for "horse dentition", you might find a cool cached cutaway picture of the side of a horse's skull showing all the teeth...

Tracer I understand it is worn down, but doesn't appear to be broken.

I thought those curved depressions on either side would be enough for an id.

Thanks for the help. Another one for the unknown drawer :D

Gotcha. Looks like bone and feels like bone not a rock.

With the knowledge base on here I'm sure there will be an answer.

I can post more pictures later from the sides.

ok, just to clarify a bit what i was saying earlier, here are two pictures (ignore the acorn cap prop) of a piece of worn pachyostotic bone, which i consider likely to be a broken chunk from a manatee rib.

post-488-092294500 1286832937_thumb.jpg

post-488-092946300 1286832939_thumb.jpg

this type of bone is very different from "normal" mammal bone in its granularity and how it wears. it can have worn broken ends that don't look like broken ends, and i have not seen any other mammal bone that looks like that. note the propped up right end of the first picture - the porosity and apparent grain doesn't really change much as it wraps around the end, unlike the distinct difference between the outer, "cortical" bone surface and the inner "trabecular" or "spongy" bone on most bones...

• 3 weeks later...

The tooth is an unworn upper 3rd molar of a horse. It is probably a hipparion horse from the Upper Bone valley Age equivalent of the Peace river.