Lost Creek Jack County

Roz

Great finds girl, you have some good eyes to see those. ;)

That's what funny, Tera, I have poor vision up close...

You have to check it out cause I know you would get hooked there...

Welcome to the forum!

Hee hee! Even though I love my echinoids best, I have to admit that weird shark tooth you guys :wub: found has me very envious! Never saw one like that--not that I'm exactly well-versed in shark teeth!

That's what funny, Tera, I have poor vision up close...

You have to check it out cause I know you would get hooked there...

yeah i need to get out of my comfort zone and range farther.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Have you been there before? If you haven't you'll love it..

Not yet. It's still on my list. Perhaps next time I head into North Texas.

Cool fossils and now I know what the "Jacksboro, TX" site looks like. I've heard about it and have some fossils from it, purchased from Dan or old estate collections, but never seen any pics of it. Looks like a fun place to explore!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Second Picture Upper Right Do you know what that is?

I too was curious about that "thing". Is it just a small elongated rock with 4 or 5 little bumps on it, or is this a tooth of some sort?

Then I hit pay dirt by finding one of my coolest fossils ever! Here's a banged up and broken but bascially complete Symmorium (aka Cladodus) shark tooth!!

post-11-087695000 1286842820_thumb.jpg post-11-046817200 1286842842_thumb.jpg

Have to agree also... that is one cool looking tooth. Very nice find Lance...

I too was curious about that "thing". Is it just a small elongated rock with 4 or 5 little bumps on it, or is this a tooth of some sort?

I think you are looking at a piece of a nautoloid.. It's gray colored. It's sitting straight up not sideways is why the view may look odd.

I wish I would have thrown a penny in that pic as it was about 3 inches long...

Welcome to the forum!

Cool fossils and now I know what the "Jacksboro, TX" site looks like. I've heard about it and have some fossils from it, purchased from Dan or old estate collections, but never seen any pics of it. Looks like a fun place to explore!

Well then I am glad you got to see it. I am the same way. I hear posts about some fossil sites in other parts of the world, other

states, and become very curious as to what they look like. Then when someone posts a pic I am pretty danged happy. I get to see it at long last. It's easily an all day hunt.

Welcome to the forum!

This pretty much the same comment. Years ago, I received a cladodont tooth base (crown broken off) from "Lake Jacksboro." It was interesting to me because it is identifiable and I had never heard of the site until then. I hadn't heard any more about it since until this thread. Thanks for the photos.

One of the best things about the site besides the variety is the excellent preservation of many of the fossils:

post-11-089799000 1287233401_thumb.jpg post-11-031064000 1287233423_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 6 years later...

I have been out to the site mentioned, at the back of the lake.  Took my autistic son with me who loves adventures, he has Aspergers, and the idea of fossil hunting just set him silly.  I found the flats with the eroding hill, but noticed the gates with the brand new shiny locks.  Grew up with a dad who taught never to jump a fence without permission or an invitation.  For those of you who have been can  you please tell me who to get a hold of so that we can get back there?  I have shown my son the picture in this thread, and now its a done deal, i HAVE to take him lol.  Any help about this site would be appreciated.  Thanks for your time, and we will post the treasures we get :)

Edited by Riverwolf

Riverwolf...

I was out in that area last weekend and I can definitely confirm the presence of the gates with the shiny new locks.  I did walk across the dam but found that the beautiful exposure that is so clearly visible is 'off limits'.  Like you...I was raised to not jump fences, which turned out to be a good thing because two very official-looking fellows wearing badges and sidearms came galloping out of the woods on horseback a few minutes later.  They didn't stop to bother me but I was very careful not to put myself in a position where I appeared to be doing anything 'illegal'.  I did poke around on a few minor exposures that were not on the wrong side of the fence at the very end of the dam (closest to the main exposure) but found very little except for a few very small brachiopods.  Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the area is under the auspices of the Corps of Engineers and that they don't allow fossil collecting.  I cannot confirm the previous statement, however.  If anybody can update the current status of fossil collecting along the Lost Creek Spillway, I would sure appreciated it!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Great fossils, especially that tooth!

$3? That's more than reasonable for a day out :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

10 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Riverwolf...

I was out in that area last weekend and I can definitely confirm the presence of the gates with the shiny new locks.  I did walk across the dam but found that the beautiful exposure that is so clearly visible is 'off limits'.  Like you...I was raised to not jump fences, which turned out to be a good thing because two very official-looking fellows wearing badges and sidearms came galloping out of the woods on horseback a few minutes later.  They didn't stop to bother me but I was very careful not to put myself in a position where I appeared to be doing anything 'illegal'.  I did poke around on a few minor exposures that were not on the wrong side of the fence at the very end of the dam (closest to the main exposure) but found very little except for a few very small brachiopods.  Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the area is under the auspices of the Corps of Engineers and that they don't allow fossil collecting.  I cannot confirm the previous statement, however.  If anybody can update the current status of fossil collecting along the Lost Creek Spillway, I would sure appreciated it!

-Joe

Nice stuff you guys scored on.

Yes you can no you can't. $3.00 a day pass. Which is it ?

Is everyone on the same page here?

I have several nice hunt places in and around there (Private invite) but never have I been to this one. [Or are we talking about two different locations?]

Jess B.

OK, here is how I understand it and have experienced it:

The lake side and dam exposures are considered off limits. Our club was once asked to move away from the dam by park rangers. But the area beyond the fence is privately owned pasture and you can collect there. You can climb over the green gate or if you are lucky, like we were a few times over the years, the owner will pass thru and open the gate for you. He will just ask that you keep the gate closed so his cattle don't wander. And if there are cattle present leave them alone. You should only need to surface collect there. Ranchers don't like holes where cattle graze.

The $3 "park pass" is to legally park your car at the far end of the dam and walk across the dam to the collecting area.