Fossils Fish Care

falcondriver

I found this 2 weeks ago and I'm afraid to touch it. Is there any good ways to stabalize fossils like this?

Thanks for any imput.

FD

post-435-1210279649_thumb.jpg

post-435-1210279666_thumb.jpg

i would use Vinac or paraloid (polyvinyl acetates) they are plastic beads dissolved in acetone. that would solidify the fractures and make it sturdy. it is also 100% reversible, which i like.

brock

Timely post. One of my Green River bird bone slabs suffers from "dandruf"; it is fundamentally sound, but the surface of the shale sheds tiny flakes just sitting there (the bones are very solid). Besides making work (dusting the case), this can't be good. Sounds like Vinac should seal it, but how might it alter the appearance? The dark mahogany bones on the pale grey and tan matrix is very attractive, and I don't want to loose the look.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i buy my vinac from paleobond. it is rather cheap and goes along ways.

auspex, i would suggest that you use a matte finish clear coat spray apint. it will darken the matrix and the bone alittle but i have not had much problem with it over time.

would you post some pictures of your bird material. i would love to see it.

here is mine

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds/Foss...536801714246898

brock

auspex, i would suggest that you use a matte finish clear coat spray apint. it will darken the matrix and the bone alittle but i have not had much problem with it over time.

here is mine

brock

Nice pictures, love the fish fossils.

FD

here is mine

brock

RE: Matte/clear aerosol; something like Krylon?

RE: Posting my material; working on it, need new camera. Hope to post a gallery of my pride-and-joys soon. (There are Forum members who might recognize some of it).

RE: Your Lg. Bird Wing; that is a real nice piece! A show-stopper, displaywise. Nothing says "bird" like an articulated wing! I'd love to study it in hand. Given the location and the biometrics I can get on-screen, I'd start by comparing it to known Presbyornis material.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Krylon type paint or a workable fixative that you can get at your local art supply store. they seem to work about the same. and auspex, if you would like more pictures of the wing pm me and i will send you a few more.

Brock

I would never paint a fish fossil. The vinac is the solution. You can make a very, very dilute mixture that will harden the bones and not affect the appearance. I use that all the time on fish. The reason vinac is better than paint is that it can easily be removed later with acetone if you want, and you can control the application with a thin brush. (Another mail order source for vinac is the Black Hills Institute for Geologic Research.)

To stabilize your specimen further, I would suggest getting a box slightly larger than the matrix, place the specimen in the box and pour a thin amount of plaster around the entire matrix. This will create a plaster frame to contain the matrix and keep everything together. You can then remove the box. I would do this first, then you can handle the specimen better to do your prep work.

Nice find.

• 5 weeks later...

thats an awesome find, really really cool!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.