Dino Bones Eaten By Flesh-eating Bugs

Roz

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting article.

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

A great detective story; Thanks for sharing!

It's another example of my "signature quote":

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They probably shoulda left out the fact termites will eat human bone but it is a time consuming process and not my recommended way of disposing of a body.

They probably shoulda left out the fact termites will eat human bone but it is a time consuming process and not my recommended way of disposing of a body.

Almost afraid to ask, what your chosen method would be... :P

Welcome to the forum!

Almost afraid to ask, what your chosen method would be... :P

Depends...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Cool Article. Wonder if anyone has beetle fossils from that era just waiting to be studied?

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

i have been following Brooks and Ann's research for about two years now, helping to prepare some of the campto bones, and some of the gnaw marks are very cool. now that i have learned how to recognise the burrows i have seen them on many other bones from the jurassic and the cretaceous. the coolest one was a Maiasaura caudal vertebra that the bug had eaten the edges of the centra comlpletely off and then chewed a hole through the articulation between the centra and spine top. very cool. i have a few bones from the same site as the camptosaur they used in the study. i will post a few pictures of the material and try to illustrate what the burrows look like.

Brock

here are a few pics of the borings. others have more detail, but it gives you the idea

2008050910324612.JPG

2008050910323819.JPG

these are on a large allosaurus metatarsal from Albany County, Wy. jurassic morrison formation

brock

This is a fascinating topic. I have Miocene mammal bones with "shipworm" clam borings, but never would have guessed that a similar phenomenon occurred elsewhere in the fossil record. Kudos to The Fossil Forum!