Cretaceous Gastropod

kolleamm

I found this today,I just finished prepping it and hardening it with Elmers glue, its a late cretaceous gastropod from Southern California, can someone help me ID it please?

post-3427-081094200 1288065508_thumb.jpg

I found this today,I just finished prepping it and hardening it with Elmers glue, its a late cretaceous gastropod from Southern California, can someone help me ID it please?

I might be wrong, but isnt elmers bad for fossils?

I read some were that after awhile it will turn form like a milky film and since its water based it will expaned and contract with the temp/humidity thus weakening the fossil?

Just wondering.

-Frozen

I have seen similar gastropods from the Late Cretaceous of British Columbia, Canada. I'm pretty sure you have the aporrhaid gastropod Anchura. Hope that helps.

I have seen similar gastropods from the Late Cretaceous of British Columbia, Canada. I'm pretty sure you have the aporrhaid gastropod Anchura. Hope that helps.

There are a whole bunch of "Anchuras" here in Texas and it looks good to be one. Here we generally find mostly internal molds without that great shell detail. The different species and sub-genera have various numbers and shapes of those extended "wings." You will need to figure out the formation it is from and then look into known species for that formation or nearby equivalents. You probably have enough there to ID to species level if you can find the needed papers or books.

As mentioned Elmers is questionable. There are lots of old threads on this forum on best techniques to look up.

I might be wrong, but isnt elmers bad for fossils?

I read some were that after awhile it will turn form like a milky film and since its water based it will expaned and contract with the temp/humidity thus weakening the fossil?

Just wondering.

-Frozen

You might be right, I should really look into it thanks for the heads up.

I think that might be it,thanks for the help!

I found this great site for identifying gastropods

http://www.stromboidea.de/?n=Collections.NaturalHistoryMuseum

After looking through the specimens I realize mine could be an Anchura but it might actually be an Aporrhais due to the direction the spike is pointing, what do you think? first picture is of Anchura, next of Aporrhais

post-3427-080463300 1288113025_thumb.jpg

post-3427-041450400 1288113054_thumb.jpg

Dear fossil friends,

It is an Anchura as some of you already mentioned.

Some of them are described by Stephenson, Wade, Conrad and others.

One of the most recent works about the Aporrhaid genus Anchura is from Elder and Saul, 1996.

It is important where the fossil is found and what stage of the Cretaceous (Maastrichtian, Campanian) and what substage (Upper/ Lower.

Also try to find out the zonatian, for example the Ornate ammonite zonation, the Baculitid zonation both after Matsumoto, 1960 or the Turritella zonation (Saul, 1983).

For more information have a look at:

Elder W.P. & Saul L.R. (1996) - Taxonomy and Biostratigraphy of Coniacian through Maastrichtian Anchura of the North American Slope.

If you want I can send this publication by mail.

Have also a look on our site:

http://www.stromboidea.de/?n=Species.Anchura

Attached Anchura haydeni

regards,

Han

post-2470-079791300 1288182886_thumb.jpg

Archived