Help With Ammonite

diabolus

Hi everybody. I am not a fossil collector but I saw this for sale at a small local auction and I thought it was cool looking and couldn't resist buying it. Now, I am curious about it. I know it's an ammonite, but I'm curious if anybody here can give me any other info about it at all, like its age and possible geographic origin. The original owner got it in Texas, though I'm not sure if that's where it's originally from.

It's about 15" across and weighs around 33 pounds.

Last question: any recommendations where I can find an appropriate display stand for it? The stand shown in the picture is not mine.

Thanks!

post-4306-041395200 1288110984_thumb.jpg

Edited by diabolus

Not sure of age or species, but the prep work looks Moroccan......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

diabolus... It does look Moroccan ...If you can find a shop that sells posh plates they usually sell wire stands for plates as well, they usually do the trick.... they come in different sizes to accomodate different sized plates.... if you take the ammonite in a bag with you, you could try it, to see which fits best....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

diabolus... It does look Moroccan ...If you can find a shop that sells posh plates they usually sell wire stands for plates as well, they usually do the trick.... they come in different sizes to accomodate different sized plates.... if you take the ammonite in a bag with you, you could try it, to see which fits best....

Thank you both very much.

I forgot to ask this: I paid $150 for it... it was sort of a whim buy. Was it a good deal? I'd like to be able to sell it in a couple of years and get my money back :)

diabolus.... It sounds a 'reasonable' price to get your money back... The size of the shell makes it an interior design size of piece too, so like you did, you just need to find the right punter who wants it....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I have seen many of these Moroccan "ammonites" that appear to be 100% sculpted. I honestly think that some are not even heavily restored real ammonites but, instead, a lump of matrix skillfully ammonitized. Caveat emptor!

My experience suggests me that it's fake. There seems not to be trace of suture patterns, which is unusual for a prepared ammonite, plus the ribs look way too irregular in their shape and position along the shell. Usually the bifurcations of the ribs are found more or less in the same position during development(e.g. at 1/3 of the rib, or at 2/3 of the rib), and anyone that sufficently knows ammonites can confirm this.

Excellent sculpting ability though.

I have seen many of these Moroccan "ammonites" that appear to be 100% sculpted. I honestly think that some are not even heavily restored real ammonites but, instead, a lump of matrix skillfully ammonitized. Caveat emptor!

My experience suggests me that it's fake. There seems not to be trace of suture patterns, which is unusual for a prepared ammonite, plus the ribs look way too irregular in their shape and position along the shell. Usually the bifurcations of the ribs are found more or less in the same position during development(e.g. at 1/3 of the rib, or at 2/3 of the rib), and anyone that sufficently knows ammonites can confirm this.

Excellent sculpting ability though.

These guys may be onto to something with this object. Although you have just shown us a photo, there are a few 'unusual' areas that seem to show diagonal 'chatter' marks from a tool making or clearing groves. The lower area where the ribs take an exaggerated curve in a local area doesn't seem right. And as was mentioned, if you don't see any evidence of suture lines (inset example) on an ammonite with such nicely preserved ribs, then you have a nicely carved piece of home decor. :( If the complex sutures are there, then a photo of them could get you an ID.

post-420-033946200 1288228412_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Good eye, John. I just noticed something else. Right above where you marked, a couple of the ribs split like a Y. I don't think I've seen that before on a real one.

Wow... you know, I think you guys are right! That's crazy.. I had no idea people faked fossils, but it makes perfect sense.

There isn't evidence of those chisel marks between all of the ribs, but they are there.

Also, to whoever mentioned the "Y" shapes - if you look closely, there are several of them.

Well, now I know what to look for if I ever see another for sale!

Thanks for your input, everybody!

Just as an aside, the bifurcation of the ribs is not a great sign that it's fake. There are many ammonites which actually do this. However, I think the bifurcation is much more regular than in this "specimen."