For All You Shark Lovers

Roz

Good article

Alabama Shark

quote from article below

The researchers discovered that tooth enamel provided far more accurate data than the other parts of the tooth, suggesting that future studies should focus only on the hard enamel surfaces.

Never heard that before today. Might not have to worry about root shape so much then.

Welcome to the forum!

If you have the equipment to measure the strontium in the enamel, then yeah, we can finally exactly date our shark teeth finds :)

Notice how they say megs swan with these cretaceous sharks, they always have to slip that one in.

Good article

Alabama Shark

quote from article below

The researchers discovered that tooth enamel provided far more accurate data than the other parts of the tooth, suggesting that future studies should focus only on the hard enamel surfaces.

Never heard that before today. Might not have to worry about root shape so much then.

Roz

The way I read the article - they were referring to determining the age of the tooth rather than the identity of the tooth bearer. I believe they were saying that the clemical composition of the tooth enamel had a better chance of staying unchanged thru the fossilization process than other parts of the tooth. At least that's my take on the article. . . but like you said interesting.

Roger

Thanks for another good article. :D

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Interesting article. The picture of the tooth with the apparent scale and numbers didn't make any sense to me. Did I miss something?

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams