What Kind Of Dinosaur Bone Is This?

kingofthedemo

Hello, I found this forum today and though that you guys might be able to help me identify some of my fossils from my collection. My mom bought me this fossil when I was around ten years old, as a kid I had a big fossil collection that my parents helped me aquire. I have always wondered what dinosaur bone this is. My mom bought it for me from the Pink Palace museum in Memphis, TN. about fifteen years ago. I put a soup can in the last pic for scale. Please share your opinions, thank you!

post-4318-054899700 1288293526_thumb.jpg

post-4318-021280800 1288293535_thumb.jpg

post-4318-036563000 1288293543_thumb.jpg

post-4318-085744500 1288293551_thumb.jpg

post-4318-044903600 1288293561_thumb.jpg

post-4318-080074700 1288293569_thumb.jpg

post-4318-079958300 1288293577_thumb.jpg

I don't suppose you know where it came from (Montana, Wyoming, Morocco)?

Even with some provenance, it might be tough to go very far down the I.D. trail on a (cool as it is) chunk of bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't suppose you know where it came from (Montana, Wyoming, Morocco)?

Even with some provenance, it might be tough to go very far down the I.D. trail on a (cool as it is) chunk of bone.

I'm not sure where it came from, any educated guess's on what type?

soup can for scale...! Very Warholian. (Google soup can and Warhol if you must). I see what we call a chunkosaur. That is, a chunk of dinosaur bone that can't really be identified beyond that. The large groove/valley running through it suggests it may be a piece of a vertebra. But that's the best I can do. Nice chunkosaur.

soup can for scale...! Very Warholian. (Google soup can and Warhol if you must). I see what we call a chunkosaur. That is, a chunk of dinosaur bone that can't really be identified beyond that. The large groove/valley running through it suggests it may be a piece of a vertebra. But that's the best I can do. Nice chunkosaur.

Thanks for the info! Now that you say it, I do remember the bone being described as a possible partial vertebra; but I guess there's no way to tell what dino it came from? And I'm familiar with old Andy's work! I just thought that the soup can was a good visual reference.