Mammal Molar Id ?

fossiljunkie

hey everyone i recently found what appears to be a mammal molar but i'm unsure of positive id.i would like to properly label it and any help would be greatly appreciated. i've included photos from various angles and a photo with quarter for scale.

it isn't complete but i'm hoping the top enamel surface pattern will be one of the key photos for id. thanks in advance for any ideas on the .

for scale

post-3598-035490100 1288341841_thumb.jpg

post-3598-067175600 1288342142_thumb.jpg

post-3598-017119500 1288342160_thumb.jpg

post-3598-025781700 1288342179_thumb.jpg

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

looks like rhino maybe? :unsure: Very cool find though! B)B)B):)

it is cool, wish it were complete. it's a new find to the collection so i'm excited to see other opinions and a possible positive id. thanks.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

You know after looking at it again it sure looks like a piece of a dugong tooth. B)B)B):)

(Reference from The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida book)

post-23-092631200 1288354481_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

:) Nice find.I tend to agree with Worthy 55.Looks like Dugong to me. :D

thanks. i did find a dugong skull cap this past year but haven't found any dugong teeth up to this point in time. i had looked at some photos in some books at the dugong teeth and thought it a possibility. in the photos i did see i wasn't able to see any side view photos with roots so i wasn't quite sure. i also wasn't sure if the top enamel surface was complete enough for positive id. i know you guys find a quite a few dugong teeth in florida. maybe a little less common here but i'm not sure. if its dugong its a new addition to the collection and that is always welcome. thanks again guys for the help. :)B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

You know after looking at it again it sure looks like a piece of a dugong tooth. B)B)B):)

(Reference from The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida book)

thanks worthy i appreciate it. :)B)

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Nice find, Tom!

CBK

hey cade,

thanks.just got home yesterday from PA. found that tooth recently. looks like it is a dugong tooth, pretty cool.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher