#1 jkfoam

jkfoam

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Awards

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

If I could only have one reference book for identifying invertebrate fossils it would be "Index Fossils of North America" by Shimer and Shrock, published in 1944.  It is an excellent pictorial guide for the identification of many invertebrate fossils.  I hope your local libraries have a copy.  If you haunt used books stores and yard sales keep an eye out for this book.  Even in the worst of condition it is still worth about $100 and in excellent condition its about $300. 

JKFoam
The Eocene is my favorite

#2 Gatorman

Gatorman

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info JK, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

#3 Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Member of the Month 11/08

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Awards

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

It's amazing how some books appreciate in value!  I have a few that I'm hesitant to use: I want to refer to the info therein, but I don't want to add wear to the copy.

I think I'll go now and put my copy of Index Fossils of North America into a plastic bag to protect it.  As a vertebrate collector (mostly), I've opened it only a few times over the years.  (sigh!) All that information at hand, and no room in my head for it!

-----Harry Pristis

?A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber room of his library, where he can get it if he wants it.?
---Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle) in "The Sign of the Four"

http://pristis.wix.c...e-demijohn-page

"Thus declined the population of the giant shark, C. megalodon,

with the loss of its preferred prey, skunk apes.

"The big sharks were forced to eat whale and dugong and manatee and walrus,

but what they dang-well wanted was ape.

('Once you've had Australopithecine, nothing else tastes quite-so-fine!')

The megalodons persisted for a while,

but there was no enthusiasm, and they died out also."

#4 mosasaur

mosasaur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

The only thing more comprehensive is the multivolume work, "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology".

#5 jkfoam

jkfoam

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Awards

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

Mosasaur,

You are right. If my resources would permit it I would own the entire set that makes up the"Treatise". I wonder if R.C. Moore knew what he started in 1948. Here now in 2007, some 33 years after Moore's death the Treatise is still growing with volumes being revised and reissued and new volumes being added to the series.

JKFoam
The Eocene is my favorite

#6 geofossil

geofossil

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

'Index Fossils of N.America' is an excellent reference. It is, however, a bit dated and 'eastern' and 'USA' leaning. I collect paleo literature and tend to use the 'Treatise' for as my invertebrate fossil bible. There is also an excellent Russian series similar to the Treatise (about 15 volumes) which I find essential....not updated since the 6o's but very comprehensive and more relevent to the north-south paleo provinces for the Paleozoic from northern Russia, over the poles and down through Canada and the western USA.

I have about 500 publications which is just a fraction of those available. If you have second hand bookstores in your area be sure to drop by now and again...look for bulletins, memoires, etc. from the US Geological Society, Geological Survey of Canada, etc. Don't pass on publications from Russia (the most comprehensive), Germany, China, etc. The text may be in a foreign language but the taxonomy and plates are in Latin....no different from publications in English.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users