Texas Skull In Matrix

Hit The Deck

I found this on a quarry trip in Midlothian Saturday the guard said he was going to confiscate it! Just kidding thank god. Is this a Gar or maybe some kind of a reptile?

post-2688-005022200 1288620578_thumb.jpg

post-2688-098738900 1288620589_thumb.jpg

post-2688-061612900 1288620599_thumb.jpg

post-2688-019838900 1288620619_thumb.jpg

post-2688-081149200 1288620630_thumb.jpg

What age is it? Triassic? Then I would vote for Saurichthys (lizard fish). http://en.wikipedia....iki/Saurichthys

Thomas

Just googled Atco formation: It is Cretaceous (I should have done it before). So definitely not a Saurichthys. I agree with Palaeozoicfish: Aspidorhynchiformes http://en.wikipedia....dorhynchiformes

Thomas

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/8069-aspidorhynchus-acutirostris/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/8031-belonostomus-muensteri/

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

It looks like an Aspidorhynchiform, which were needle-nosed fish in the Cretaceous.

Good find.

-PzF

I agree with this ID. Really neat find! Congrats

Dude! Nice catch! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cretaceous in age so Aspidorhynchiform? Also what would be the best way to prep? is this something I can handle at the shop fossil prep room or should I outsource?

It all depends on your skill level. It looks like a chalk matrix? If so, prep isn't too bad. You just have to be really, really careful with those needle teeth. One false move, and poof! they're gone. When I prep Niobrara chalk fossils with those small teeth, I just use a soft paint brush and water. I "paint" the same direction of the teeth (not across, but along the length of the teeth)until they are exposed.

If you have another fossil in the same matrix, you should perfect your technique on that.

Good luck!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great find. Now as to prep on it.... watch out!! Fish bones from the cretaceous, at least every one I have found, are very flakey and brittle. To me, your specimen looks just fine the way it is. The matrix could be trimmed (be careful that there is not more of the skeleton in the rock). But my vote is to leave it alone if you are not skilled at prep work.

Awesome find. I was standing right next to you when you found it..

Can't wait to see it prepped out..

Hi Mike D. and Creek Crawler! I almost can’t wait also but I’m scared. Lol I think there may be more fish in the other half but have no clue how to get to it. heres a pick of the impresion? other section.

post-2688-071178800 1288633901_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike D. and Creek Crawler! I almost can’t wait also but I’m scared. Lol I think there may be more fish in the other half but have no clue how to get to it. heres a pick of the impresion? other section.

Some of the bone is in the other half. We have prep tools at the clubhouse, but this one may be for the pros. You could just trim both halves, maybe a little cleanup, and display as is. Some people might glue the two pieces back together and prep back down to it from one side, still leaving it in the matrix. The important thing is, don't rush and don't do anything you are not sure of. You'll get 7 opinions from 6 different people. Personally, other than trimming, I would probably leave it as is.

Great find, Hit The Deck.. Glad I got to see it..

I love all the teeth still in place in the jaw..

Welcome to the forum!

very nice find and great contrast with the matrix.

if you are interested i could prepare it for you relatively cheap. i have posted many things i have prepped here on the forum and also on my web albums. www.picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds and www.picasaweb.google.com/fossilogic pm me if you are interested.

Brock

Sounds a rare and exciting find judging by all the positive comments... Its worth getting Brock to deal with it I reckon and turn it from something very special to something youll display and admire all your life.... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I agree with Mike D and N. A. Hunter that this might be a little tricky, seek help from someone in your area, one slip and damage could be disaster on this awsome fish.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

If Brock is willin', consider having him do it; he is a master at the craft.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would highly recommend having Brock do the prep. I was very happy with the fossils that he has prepped for me in the past. The fish is definAtly not a job for a beginner. Nice find!

just wanted to thanks all you guys for the great recomendations. better advertisement than money can buy.

Brock

That is a heckuva cool find. I don't know Cretacoeus fish skulls, so I will leave the ID for them who do. As for prep, there's been some good advice by others. I'll offer to do it professionally for a tad more than ebrocklds, but you only have to send it to Wyoming, not nearly as far away as Utah. That's like, one more state away from TX. Honestly, I could give it a crack, but I am busy until springtime. Meanwhile, I would say, leave it as is for now and admire it as such. If you decide to try it yourself... definitely practice on another piece first, if you have one. PM me if you might be interested.

Please, please, please have a professional do the prep work for you. Also, make sure that in your will you donate it to UT in Austin, or preferably SMU in Dallas. If you prize the science of paleontology, I would donate it immediately.

Austin chaulk is very difficult to prep. The fish are very unstable and flake away easily.

If you would like the name of a VERY good preparator, send me a message and I will give you his information. He did the mosasaur skull for me that you see as my avatar, as well as a sauradon skull that I have. He is located in Texas and travels to Dallas often.

In 15 years of specializing in the fishes of the western interior seaway, I have only seen 1 such skull, and unfortunately it is now lost to science forever.

If you are willing to donate it immediately, I can put you together with a paleontologist friend of mine that im sure would be happy to write the specimen up and publish it in major publication like SVP or Kansas acedemy of science. You would be noted in the publication. I suspect that the skull would be worthy of a SVP presentation.

At any rate, congratulation on the find. I would LOVE to see it in person! If you're willing, please get in touch!

For those that do not favor donation, remember this, land owners love the idea of something from their land going to a museum. I have access to many properties in western Kansas ONLY because they know that if I find something significant it will ALWAYS go to a museum. (okay, I'll get off my soap box!)

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Archived