Sign in to follow this  
fossilfinderCT

Virginia Fossil Sites?

fossilfinderCT

Hello everyone! I'm planning a trip to Virginia a few days before thanksgiving. I will be in a town toano I believe its called. I've heard new Kent which is a town or 2 over has some fossil localities. Anyone know if there are any spots close to toano? Assuming there isn't any snow on the ground lol. Would appreciate any info! Thanks!

FossilDAWG

Looks like you're not far from Chippokes Plantation State Park, where I believe you are allowed to collect Miocene shells and shark teeth from the beach along the James River.

Don

Auspex

Will you have time to visit Colonial Williamsburg? That's history, not prehistory, but neat if you've never done it.

Chippokes Plantation State Park is really close, as the Bald Eagle flies, but you'll have to go 'round the barn to get there (tidewater, you know). Word to the wise: the military base workers get off at 4PM; don't try to get anywhere then!

snaggle

Another vote for Chippokes. Heading south on the ferry at Jamestown (near Toano) in the morning is easy. Trying that in the late afternoon is a bear... well, be prepared to wait for a couple of ferries. From Toano, you could go west on Rt. 5 to the Benjamin Harrison Bridge to Rt. 10 and head east. The ferry is the easiest bet. I don't know anything about New Kent, etc. Not that there isn't something there; I just don't know.

You might poke around the Geology Dept. website at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg. They have done a lot of work in the Tidewater area.