I.d.

Mike Owens

Found together along with some vertebrate (haven't located them yet) on Bear Creek, DFW Airport. Gauging by the size, I say Mosasaur. Will post verts when I can lay my hands on them. Together they measure 16 1/2" o.a.l. & the rule in the photos is 6".

post-15-1210621133_thumb.jpg

post-15-1210621151_thumb.jpg

post-15-1210621196_thumb.jpg

post-15-1210621229_thumb.jpg

post-15-1210621300_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

looks pleisiosaur to me....seeing the verts will help

I have to get one of my grand kids to haul the boxes out of the shed's attic for me. I should have them soon.

Thanks

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Mike:

I'm looking forward to seeing the vertebrae and to see if they are mosasaur. pliosaur or possibly plesiosaur. I love to view marine vertebrate material, but I don't collect vertebrate material much, unlike so many members of the forum. Nor am I a vertebrate expert by any means. I do have a isolated vertebra that I dug out of a marl zone below a limestone bed in the Duck Creek Formation along the shore by the boat docks at Loe's Highport while on a collecting trip with the DPS several years ago. The vertebra was collected from the same marl zone where I collected a Macraster and 3 Holaster echinoids the same day. It was the only vertebrate material found in this bed. Chuck Finsley at DMNH identifed the vertebra as being a dorsal vertebra from a plesiosaur, although plesiosaurs have apparently not been reported from below the Eagle Ford Group in North Texas. I will get a photograph of the vertebra and post it here this week.

I have never collected any identifiable pliosaur material. The only mosasaur vertebrae that I ever found were collected on a college geology field trip from the Aguja Formation near Terlingua 20+ years ago when I lived in West Texas. There were 4 vertebrae still articulated, but that was all of the mosasaur that was found there. According to Brent McAfee, the geology professor on the field trip, they were identified as being from Clidastes sp. They were donated to the geology department at Odessa College to put in a display.

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

It's hard to be sure from the photos, but how does your specimen compare to this ONE (upper right) from the OOK site?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest michael

hey mike i showed your pictures 2 a friend who a plesiosaur expert and he said it plesiosaur propodials