Mystery Marine Fossil

Uncle Siphuncle

I found this thing on the TX coast near Rockport in a pit where I was fortunate to grab several hundred Mellita sp. or Encope borealis sand dollars before the site was filled in several months ago. One oddity I picked up was this "tooth" for lack of a better word. There is too much symmetry for it to be just a phosphate nodule, even down to the microscopic pattern of grooves on either side. Any ideas? Is it even a fossil? The sand dollars are Pleistocene, probably Sangamonian. It is either Ingleside or Beaumont formation, roughly 10K-150K years old. Many of the sand dollars have cemented sand and coquina shells on them if this helps nail down the age of the deposit. Any and all opinions are welcome, even if I'm proven to be way off with my initial assessment.

post-1-1191578622_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191578629_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191578638_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Looks to be a fossil of some sort but i haven't a clue what it could be. Some sort of fish fossil i would guess.

Maybe it is some sort of tilly bone or earbone from something much smaller than the dolphin and whale material you guys find in FL.

Grüße,

Dan, Dan, Dan . . . Don't you have any easy-to-identify fossils to post??  :D

I think if I had to guess at this one, I'd say boney fish.  I keep thinking "rostrum," but I can't find it in a book.  If it were a part of a grinding mouthpart, it should have a distinctive surface for that function.  It seems too bilaterally symmetrical to be an ear-bone.

----Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry

I try not to bore the panel of experts with supefluous, easily identified commodity stuff, hehehe.

Grüße,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I know exactly what it is! Its called "Emmon's Fish Tooth", and its somewhat of a mystery. It was originally thought to be a kind of grinding fish tooth, but now it probably is a sort of bone where the pectoral fin spine in a sea robin articulates. Many of these are known from the Lee Creek Mine.

Bobby

Thank you sir!

Grüße,

Guest N.AL.hunter

First there was the petrified human brain.

Then there was the fossilized bird (AKA Conglomerate)

Now there is a fossil embryo of a seal!! Look at that last picture. Looks like a fossil seal to me.

Archived