Camel or Bison Astragalus?

Uncle Siphuncle

Another Texas terrace deposit find, I hope to learn to distinguish between bison and camel astragali with the aid of your responses to this thread. I know this specimen is not cow as there was gravel cemented to it as found. I left the matrix in place as a sort of Pleistocene "proof seal" since some of our Pleistocene stuff is hard to date by color or degree of mineralization.

post-1-1191230345_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191230360_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191230372_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191230382_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm going to guess Camel i have one seemingly identical to it only from the opposite side. and slightly smaller 

• 3 years later...

Here is a pair of Astragalus which I am two members of Houston Gem & Mineral Society collected recently. I think they belong to the same bison as one is right and the other is left. They articulate about 80 to 85 degrees (not quite a 90 degree bend). We collected 15 bison teeth and about 50 to 100 other bones, including 12 leg bones in the same dig. The Astragalus were neat because each would rotate, i.e. the convex side in the concave side showing a perfet fit.

Thought you might like to see this pair.

post-3336-0-03055800-1311395684_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a pair of Astragalus which I am two members of Houston Gem & Mineral Society collected recently. I think they belong to the same bison as one is right and the other is left. They articulate about 80 to 85 degrees (not quite a 90 degree bend). We collected 15 bison teeth and about 50 to 100 other bones, including 12 leg bones in the same dig. The Astragalus were neat because each would rotate, i.e. the convex side in the concave side showing a perfet fit.

Thought you might like to see this pair.

Welcome to The Forum, Terry!

Tell us what we're looking at in your image. They don't appear to be astragalus/calcaneum articulations. Is that a pair of astragali articulating with the distal ends of tibias?

Here's how that articulation looks in an equine horse:

post-42-0-37086400-1311438058_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-68584900-1311438086_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-27639700-1311438119_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest