The Collection

piranha

• 2 weeks later...

post-4301-068534500 1289525795_thumb.jpg post-4301-000895000 1289525816_thumb.jpg post-4301-071710600 1289525825_thumb.jpg

I'm just baffled by these. I had NO idea there were trilobites that looked like this. Truely a masterful prep job.

What a great collection Piranha! I especially like the fossil leaves and imagine them spinning, turning in the warm breezes of happier days.

Thank you very much for showing your collection, Piranha!

I registered just to tell you what an incredible collection you have, it's the best I 've ever seen!

I live in Singapore where there's a painful lack of fossil enthusiasts, and there exists literally not even a single fossil shop, nor do we have a museum or science center displaying fossils. However, it is by the effort you went through to take all these pictures and upload them here, that a starving fossil-crazy guy like me is able to get a glimpse of the incredible treasures Mother Nature has left us from so many million of years ago!

Keep up the fossil-collecting, and hope to see you with even more of the same amazing stuff!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thank you very much for showing your collection, Piranha!

I registered just to tell you what an incredible collection you have, it's the best I 've ever seen!

I live in Singapore where there's a painful lack of fossil enthusiasts, and there exists literally not even a single fossil shop, nor do we have a museum or science center displaying fossils. However, it is by the effort you went through to take all these pictures and upload them here, that a starving fossil-crazy guy like me is able to get a glimpse of the incredible treasures Mother Nature has left us from so many million of years ago!

Keep up the fossil-collecting, and hope to see you with even more of the same amazing stuff!

Hello and Welcome to TFF from Oregon! :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment you posted.

What a great thrill for me and exactly why my collection is available for viewing here at this forum. I'm extremely fortunate of course that I've been able to cull so many fine examples representing the magnificent diversity of fossil animals and plants across the eons. As you become familiar with this site you'll soon discover other member collections that are equally amazing and varied. One off the top is Oilshale's galleries with perhaps some of the finest Messel Shale fossils institutionally or privately held. RCFossils easily has one of the best ever collections of Mazon Creek fossils and the list goes on and on ... there's certainly an embarrassment of fossil riches here for you to enjoy!

It's so great to meet you and have you on board!

Kind regards,

Scott (piranha)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hello and Welcome to TFF from Oregon! :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful comment you posted.

What a great thrill for me and exactly why my collection is available for viewing here at this forum. I'm extremely fortunate of course that I've been able to cull so many fine examples representing the magnificent diversity of fossil animals and plants across the eons. As you become familiar with this site you'll soon discover other member collections that are equally amazing and varied. One off the top is Oilshale's galleries with perhaps some of the finest Messel Shale fossils institutionally or privately held. RCFossils easily has one of the best ever collections of Mazon Creek fossils and the list goes on and on ... there's certainly an embarrassment of fossil riches here for you to enjoy!

It's so great to meet you and have you on board!

Kind regards,

Scott (piranha)

Thanks so much for your kind words! I shall be sure to check out their fossils too.

- Andy (FireEel)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 month later...

Hey piranha,

very great collection. It was a delight to view those fantastically preserved fossils and also to view that there are some German and other European fossils within.

Otherwise the look at the great fossils would have been able to generate inferioty complexes... :):D

In earnest: Congratulations!

Best regards

Soenke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

I think I spoke too soon when I said you had an amazing collection. You have a super amazing collection of VERY high quality specimens. Your collection is also very diverse, unlike most of us that tend to specialize. I wish I had the room for all that beautiful stuff.

From some of the photos, it appears that a good portion is out and displayed. Tell me, how is do you keep the dust off. Or are you constantly dusting.

crinus

5.5 inch T.rex tooth

no repair - no resto

cleaned with a toothbrush - whad'ya expect?

:drool: Thats a beauty! The closest I have ot that is a Spinosaurus tooth and a Triceratops tooth. At least I'm getting Rex tooth fragments soon. B)

Thanks PzF -

I googled the new treatise on gars and found this link:grande_book

From ASIH.ORG:

Special Publication 6: "An Empirical Synthetic Pattern Study of Gars (Lepisosteiformes) and Closely Related Species, Based Mostly on Skeletal Anatomy. The Resurrection of Holostei" by Lance Grande will be published soon, and one free copy made available to each ASIH member for the cost of shipping and handling. Shipping rates will be determined after the book is printed. Additional copies will be available to members for $100 each and to nonmembers for $200 (plus shipping and handling) after we complete distribution to the membership.

This one has PzF's bookplate all over it ;)

By the way, I picked up this book recently. It is excellent. The figures are outline drawings are amazing. It is massive, bigger than his Amia volume. I find it odd that there are only like 5 genera attributed to gars in the last 150 million years, but I'm sure someone one day will fix that.

Recommended for any fish people!

-PzF

By the way, I picked up this book recently. It is excellent. The figures are outline drawings are amazing. It is massive, bigger than his Amia volume. I find it odd that there are only like 5 genera attributed to gars in the last 150 million years, but I'm sure someone one day will fix that.

Recommended for any fish people!

-PzF

Thanks for the great review PzF although my next book will be your other recommend of Amphibian Biology Volume 4 Palaeontology. B)

Edited by piranha

Thanks for the great review PzF although the next book for me is your other recommend of Amphibian Paleontology Volume 4. B)

Yes that's a great one, too. It goes over all amphibian lineages from the most primitive Ichthyostegids to the most derived groups that include modern amphibians.

cheers,

-PzF

I think I spoke too soon when I said you had an amazing collection. You have a super amazing collection of VERY high quality specimens. Your collection is also very diverse, unlike most of us that tend to specialize. I wish I had the room for all that beautiful stuff.

From some of the photos, it appears that a good portion is out and displayed. Tell me, how is do you keep the dust off. Or are you constantly dusting.

crinus

Thank you for the wonderful comments Crinus. It really is an honor considering that I've always marveled at your magnificent collection with the highest possible regard. I discovered your amazing fossils years ago online long before any of us had the privilege to meet here at this forum. This only underscores that special camaraderie we all share with one another.

Thanks Crinus you made my day !! :)

PS: I keep the vents closed in the fossil room and it seems to keep most of the dust at manageable levels.

I spent Sunday morning looking at your collection, and having coffee,Thanks for that morning, Scott...:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

:blink:

:drool:

:drooling 38:

I'd add an emoticon that slowly melts away in happiness, but there isn't one.

That is one heck of a collection/display. It blows my two-shelf display miles out of the water.

You are one good collector :)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Add me to the list of those in awe of your fantastic collection, even if it is a bit lacking in shark teeth :P Love the diversity

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I didnt think anyone had a personal collection like this. Im guessing unmarried no kids and lots of stock in Google or Apple or something lol. Well, blew my mind. Any pic you posted I would have framed on my wall! Take care and good job.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

I didnt think anyone had a personal collection like this. Im guessing unmarried no kids and lots of stock in Google or Apple or something lol. Well, blew my mind. Any pic you posted I would have framed on my wall! Take care and good job.

I Don't care what anyone thinks you have lots of family and friends :)

I Don't care what anyone thinks you have lots of family and friends :)

lol, you know what I meant. Im gonna see if he has an extra room so I can move in. Im just still amazed at the quality, and so many,I could spend days just checking those out.

Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable is my mentor.

lol, you know what I meant. Im gonna see if he has an extra room so I can move in. Im just still amazed at the quality, and so many,I could spend days just checking those out.

I think his extra room is taken up with a wonderful fossil collection :D