The Collection

piranha

Kevin, Jason, Bob, Thank You !!! :Thumbs Up:

The great compliments are appreciated very much. :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Oh, Scott.

I have stuck again on my chair admiring :wacko: :wacko: :o :o

My wife's scream woke me up :angry:

I have to go with my grandkids :D:D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Thomas, ... THANKS GUYS !! :)

It's OK! Just can't get over those fossils! So many nice things I would like to own!!! :drool::D

Any chance you can invite me over someday to have a closer look at those whoppers? ;)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start? Scott, i'm totally speechless. I can't put into words how incredible your collection is, everything, from the fossils, the prep work, the display, the identifications and photography are all breathtaking. I stand in awe. How many English fossils do you have? Looking through your collection I noticed a nice Somerset Caloceras.

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Any chance you can invite me over someday to have a closer look at those whoppers? ;)

Absolutely ... Time Lords always have an open invite here. The TARDIS will look lovely in the garden !! :P

Where to start? Scott, i'm totally speechless. I can't put into words how incredible your collection is, everything, from the fossils, the prep work, the display, the identifications and photography are all breathtaking. I stand in awe. How many English fossils do you have? Looking through your collection I noticed a nice Somerset Caloceras.

Joe

I do have quite a few fossils from the UK, mostly plants and sponges although many are not displayed. You have reminded me that I need to add another good trilobite. Years ago I had a very nice Ogyginus that was subsequently traded away for a very rare Cretaceous sponge fossil. There are so many classic localities in the UK and they remain on my list always. Next will be a few Jurassic vertebrate treasures from your neck of the woods. Thankfully there is the UK Fossils Network to help me sort it all out.

Thanks so much for the great compliments Joe !! :)

Absolutely ... Time Lords always have an open invite here. The TARDIS will look lovely in the garden !! :P

We detect a Dr. Who fan : ) .....

Yeah. That would be me. I might be the only one with a theory that Daleks are just belemnites without shells :P

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

WOW, just WOW. That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! They must be worth like a hundred thousand all up! Great collection, makes me feel like a novice haha. How many years of collecting is that?

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thank you PW-101 !! :D Yes, quite a few years at it now and many emptied piggy banks along the way ... :blink:

Having moved to the fossiliferous terranes of Oregon 99% are now collected with a Estwing rock hammer ... :sword:

Just looked at the first photo again, wide-eyed. :blink: I think I can see your triobite avatar up there somewhere.

Looking at it again, what's that amphibian on the lower right? (If the answer's somewhere up in that Empire State Building thread, well, it'd be hard to find :P )

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 4 weeks later...

I collected there (or a site with the same rock) years ago. Goshen was the name a paleontologist used. I found one decent leaf that day so I know how tough it is to get what you have.

Add me to the crowd of people admiring your diverse collection and the nice photos (I've gone through this thread at least three times now). The specimens are beautifully displayed on top of being high quality examples. Clearly, you enjoy your trilobites and plants but you have a nice mix of other groups too. You must have had (and continue to have) fun building that collection. I like that you included your self-collected stuff. It shows that you appreciate not only "collector pieces" but also fossils in general (the dinosaur skeleton and the most-of-a-leaf) and the effort involved in their collection, preparation, and preservation. I've been lucky to see a small number of incredible private collections and yours is one of them.

Here are more examples of flora from the Oligocene of Oregon. These are from the Willamette Flora and dated at 30 mya. This location is a few minutes north (by car) of the Goshen Flora. The only thing more difficult than photographing these fossils is collecting them. The rock that is easily split crumbles before your eyes and everything else is like granite. Took me about a week (4-6 hrs day) just to find these.

Nice finds but a lousy rate of return - I'll save my energy next year for more productive digs ;)

Northern,

Yeah, I noticed that too. We can forgive him if he thinks there was only one extinct shark because he obviously spent a lot of time with trilobites, other invertebrates, and plants. Nobody's perfect.

Add me to the list of those in awe of your fantastic collection, even if it is a bit lacking in shark teeth :P Love the diversity

Add me to the crowd of people admiring your diverse collection and the nice photos (I've gone through this thread at least three times now). The specimens are beautifully displayed on top of being high quality examples. Clearly, you enjoy your trilobites and plants but you have a nice mix of other groups too. You must have had (and continue to have) fun building that collection. I like that you included your self-collected stuff. It shows that you appreciate not only "collector pieces" but also fossils in general (the dinosaur skeleton and the most-of-a-leaf) and the effort involved in their collection, preparation, and preservation. I've been lucky to see a small number of incredible private collections and yours is one of them.

Thank you so much for the nice accolades Jess! As I look back over the pages of this thread it is with great humility and enormous gratitude that so many of you responded with wonderful support. Although I made a general thank you to everyone on a few occasions I feel compelled to do so once again. What an honor and privilege to be involved with this amazing community of fellow fossil friends. My home away from home!

As always.... just thrilled to be here - Thank You ALL !! :D

scott... i just have to state again... your collection just gave me a new hope towards collecting ;)

do i see a sclerocephalus? ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Just tidying up this thread today. I was reminded recently that a certain amphibious presence was absent here. Being the keystone example for my collection of Oregon fossils it deserves to be included with the others. Attached is a photo and link to the original thread with a few pages of background and correspondence with Professors Greg Retallack and Bill Orr on this fascinating topic as well as a link back to the thread on the University of Oregon-Thomas Condon Collection of fossils where the Holotype F5405 resides.

Paleotaricha oligocenica

UO-Condon Fossil Collection

Paleotaricha oligocenica 2-3/4"

Oligocene - Willamette Flora

Lane County, Goshen, Oregon

Paleotaricha oligocenica.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Truly fantastic collection.

I especially like the amphibian and the Psittacosaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Truly fantastic collection.

I especially like the amphibian and the Psittacosaur.

And I especially like your Olenoides avatar. ;)

Thanks for the nice comment Lord Trilobite! :D

• 3 months later...

The centerpiece of Oregon plant fossils and after winning the FOTM a little extra flower power fun to my collection thread. :)

Florissantia speirii

Little Butte Volcanic Series

Oligocene, North-Central Oregon

Florissantia speirii.jpg

• I found this Informative 3