The Collection

piranha

Amazing stuff.... Out of all the incredible fossils the Huntonia is what caught my eye the most........ Fantastic piece.

If you ever get tired of it, let me know........ I will search high and low for enough change to buy it.... :)

Hi Scott

Just took a tour of your wonderful fossil museum

To refer to it as a collection is an understatement :bow:

I'm at a loss for words...Which says a lot :D

Outstanding, mouthwatering, jaw dropping fossils KUDOS

PS: I spent a lot of time "Right Click - Save as..." ;)

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

• 2 weeks later...

here is a closer photo of a shelf with mostly trilobites.

macro shots are in the hopper - especially the spiny bugs ;)

the lighting is difficult with the mirrored surface behind the fossils.

Amazing and breath-taking!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Here are a few interesting fossil seaweed specimens. They are from the Order Phaeophyta (brown algae/kelp)

These are found in associated depositions with fossilized pipefish from the Miocene Monterey Formation,

Santa Ynez Valley, CA. UCMP Berkeley has a good website and section on this topic.

Phaeophyta are very unusual and rare in the overall fossil record.

Julescraneia grandicornis

Paleocystophora acuminata

Paleocystophora plumosa

Indeterminate sp

RE: Parker, B.C. and E.Y. Dawson. 1965, Nova Hedwigia 10:273-295.

Non-calcareous marine algae from California marine deposits.

Yet again...breath-taking....simply amzing!!!! Jealous!!!! Great finds!!! thanks so much for sharing!!!

Kind Regards

Kim

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Your collection is truly, absolutely gorgeous. How long have you been collecting?

I recently discovered a box with fossils and minerals from a Field Museum class outing when I was still in grade school at age 10.

Haha... I suppose that qualifies me as a lifer of sorts. :P Thanks for the great compliment. :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 9 months later...

Hi piranha,

The Xiangxiia yongshunensis that is 23 cm long is a beautiful specimen. Underneath the lower right part of the pygidium is another trilobite. At one point the extoskeleton of these trilobites, after deposition, could literally drap over other fossils when compression of the sediment above them was occuring.

You have one of the finest Ordovician trilobites from that part of the world. I know. I prepped it.

the weekend starts off with a few high profile bugz:

here's another trilobite with nomenclatural issues - when i bought it in the late 90's it was called

Asaphopsis brevica. By the treatise (1959 ed) Moore et al described it as Asaphopsoides. thanks to an

expert on Chinese trilos who informs that these are actually Xiangxiia yongshunensis and are a junior

synonym of Asaphopsoides. the name game....banana nana no nana fee fi fo fana Meg%20Dance.gif

Xiangxiia yongshunensis 23cm

Xiangxiia yongshunensis 11cm

Psilocephalina lubrica (2) 8.5, 7.5cm

Ordovician - China

Arctinurus boltoni 15cm (6 INCHER Bananasaur.gif )

Silurian - New York [pyritized pygidium]

Phacops wad (4) 4.5cm

Devonian - Ohio

post-4301-072093700 1289679134_thumb.jpg post-4301-078995800 1289679144_thumb.jpg post-4301-035864700 1289679160_thumb.jpg post-4301-016392400 1289679172_thumb.jpg

Hi piranha,

The Xiangxiia yongshunensis that is 23 cm long is a beautiful specimen. Underneath the lower right part of the pygidium is another trilobite. At one point the extoskeleton of these trilobites, after deposition, could literally drap over other fossils when compression of the sediment above them was occuring.

You have one of the finest Ordovician trilobites from that part of the world. I know. I prepped it.

Hi Charlie,

Great to hear from you again after so many years ago acquiring that incredible trilobite. I have made a point to highlight the mysterious trilobite underneath the Xiangxiia in another post here at TFF. I'm so glad you spotted it and replied. This trilobite continues to be one of my all-time favorite fossils and as you mentioned is easily is one of the best from the Ordovician of China. Thanks a million for the amazing prep and the opportunity to place it in my collection. emo57.gif

The centerpiece of Oregon plant fossils and after winning the FOTM a little extra flower power fun to my collection thread. :)

Florissantia speirii

Little Butte Volcanic Series

Oligocene, North-Central Oregon

post-4301-0-29841800-1316017696_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott, really glad this thread popped up again! Missed more awesome stuff! So what kind of matrix is that gorgeous specimen in....is that a white ashfall/tuff of some kind, a diatamaceous shale?...simply magnificent. Regards, Chris

Hi Charlie,

Great to hear from you again after so many years ago acquiring that incredible trilobite. I have made a point to highlight the mysterious trilobite underneath the Xiangxiia in another post here at TFF. I'm so glad you spotted it and replied. This trilobite continues to be one of my all-time favorite fossils and as you mentioned is easily is one of the best from the Ordovician of China. Thanks a million for the amazing prep and the opportunity to place it in my collection. emo57.gif

Hi Scott,

Great to hear from you too. I hope all has been well with you in the past several years. You are very kind in your compliments. You are a great guy.

Your collection is outstanding. I hope you have many, many good years enjoying your collection. Thanks for sharing the photos with everyone.

Sincerely,

Charlie

"Life is a journey of seeking what is in one's heart"

Charlie, Chris, IDigDinos, thanks again for the nice comments :D

Hi Chris,

The matrix is silicified chert.

Here is the official description on that section of LBV:

Stratigraphically below the fossil deposit, the Little Butte Volcanic Series is characterized by a pumiceous tuff-breccia which contains blocks and fragments of a volcanic flow rock. This exposure, the base of which is not exposed, underlies the fossil deposit for a thickness of more than 400 feet. The deposit containing the fossil leaves is composed of a thinly laminated tuffaceous material which has been silicifed to varying degrees.

• I found this Informative 1

Charlie, Chris, IDigDinos, thanks again for the nice comments :D

Hi Chris,

The matrix is silicified chert.

Here is the official description on that section of LBV:

Stratigraphically below the fossil deposit, the Little Butte Volcanic Series is characterized by a pumiceous tuff-breccia which contains blocks and fragments of a volcanic flow rock. This exposure, the base of which is not exposed, underlies the fossil deposit for a thickness of more than 400 feet. The deposit containing the fossil leaves is composed of a thinly laminated tuffaceous material which has been silicifed to varying degrees.

Thanks Scott, a chert, cool! Last time I ran across that rock type was down south near the Gold Gate Bridge north end, San Francisco...used to be some lackluster, reddish brown, radiolarian rich ribbon chert deposits...I want to say maybe some greenish Franciscan Fm. serpentines too...many many decades ago....Maybe it was just foggy and cold and terribly windy when we were there--my memory was that I was freezing and just wanted to find mega fossils and our guide was showing us microscopic radiolaria with a hand loop and he was descibing the radiolarians raining down to the sea bottom thru the ocean depths! I guess he did really make an impact on me and did teach me something even if I couldnt see the little dudes at the time! Your specimen is so much more striking though and that flower! Oh Dang! Appreciate the details! Regards, Chris

• 1 year later...

It's been over two years since posting any fossils in my collection thread, so time for a long overdue update! Since then I have collected and acquired a lot of different fossils posted elsewhere at TFF, and eventually I will endeavor to get those added to this thread. I also noticed when I was busy first installing all the photos and descriptions, I was still clinging to dear old 'Phacops' as the genus for many of my phacopid trilobites. Science marches on, regardless! :P

A good friend recently gifted this amazing cluster of Eldredgeops that he collected in Genesee County, New York. A couple of excellent papers discuss the different types of middle Devonian phacopid clusters. Because this example is comprised of complete individuals, it's a body cluster. In contrast, an assemblage with cephala and thoracopygidia is referred to as a moult cluster. What they were gathered for exactly, is always a great topic of discussion; synchronous moulting / reproduction, or perhaps another form of gregarious behavior? The Paterson et al. paper is available for free download as part of 450 page volume of trilobite papers at this: LINK

Please send me a PM with email address if you're interested in reading the Speyer / Brett paper. Enjoy! :fistbump:

Eldredgeops rana

Centerfield LS, East Bethany, NY

Middle Devonian, Hamilton Group

IMG1.jpg

Paterson, J.R., Hughes, N.C., & Chatterton, B.D.E. (2008)
Trilobite clusters: What do they tell us? A Preliminary Investigation.

Cuadernos del Museo Geominero, 9:313-318

Speyer, S.E., & Brett, C.E., (1985)
Clustered trilobite assemblages in the Middle Devonian Hamilton Group.

Lethaia, 18:85-103

• I found this Informative 3

Getting this thread updated with some of the best Oregon Oligocene plants I've personally collected.

Cunninghamia chaneyi - Late Oligocene - 27 Mya
Little Butte Volcanic Series, Lane County, West-Central OR

Cunninghamia chaneyi 1.jpg  Cunninghamia chaneyi 2.jpg  Cunninghamia chaneyi 3.jpg

Cunninghamia chaneyi 4.jpg  Cunninghamia chaneyi 5.jpg  Cunninghamia chaneyi 6.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Here is an excellent assortment of plants I collected at a different locality of the Oligocene Little Butte Volcanic Series of north-central Oregon. Included in this group is a nice Ginkgo and Florissantia flower. The first photo is an amazing specimen with callus reaction from insect feeding traces. The final photo in this group is a fantastic 5.5" Tilia fossilensis, which is named for the type locality of Fossil, Oregon in the Bridge Creek Flora of the John Day Formation. All of these plant fossils are noteworthy as they are preserved in silicified chert. When the matrix is split it's a dark-purple color and turns white-grey after a few moments in the sun as the water content evaporates.

Oligocene Flora 41.jpg Oligocene Flora 45.jpg Oligocene Flora 40.jpg

Oligocene Flora 39.jpg Oligocene Flora 47.jpg Oligocene Flora 44.jpg

Oligocene Flora 38.jpg Oligocene Flora 42.jpg Tilia fossilensis.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Marvelous preservation and variety, Scott.

Is that a Florissantia Quilchenensis I see?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Fantastic Flora, Scott! :wub:

Thanks for posting these beauties!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Chas, Roger, Tim, Thanks!

On 2/12/2014 at 9:12 AM, Auspex said:

Marvelous preservation and variety, Scott.

Is that a Florissantia Quilchenensis I see?

Florissantia Fun Facts

The Oregon species of Florissantia are ashwillii and speirii, the latter accounting for all the examples I have posted at TFF. Florissantia speirii had a distribution ranging from coastal Oregon as far inland as central Colorado. Some of the localities, such as the Lyons flora of western Oregon, were probably within 200 m of sea level, whereas the paleoaltitude of Florissant has been estimated at about 2,450 m (Meyer, 1986). Florissantia speirii spans the Eocene-Oligocene boundary of Oregon, extending from subtropical / tropical vegetation of the Clarno flora to temperate vegetation of the Bridge Creek flora. Florissantia quilchenensis is well represented in the middle Eocene from the Quilchena, Princeton and McAbee floras of southern British Columbia and from the Republic flora in northeastern Washington (Manchester, 1992 & 2008).

Manchester, S.R., & Pigg, K.B. (2008)

The Eocene mystery flower of McAbee, British Columbia.

Botany, 86(9):1034-1038

Manchester, S.R. (1992)

Flowers, fruits, and pollen of Florissantia, an extinct Malvalean genus from the Eocene and Oligocene of western North America

American Journal of Botany, 79(9):996-1008

Meyer, H.W. (2003)

The fossils of Florissant.

Smithsonian Books 258 pp.

• I found this Informative 3