Anybody Seen This Fossil Bone Texture Before?

tracer

i have this pleistobit that's been bugging me for a couple of years, off and on, whenever i see it. it is broken on three sides so i have no idea how big it was, but the remaining part is in the neighborhood of three inches by three inches (kinda). it is semi-flat on both sides with a "leading edge" that is shaped like the front of a wing, but it is a bit thicker toward one end than the other. the surface texture on both sides is considerably different from any other bone that i have found. it is a rough, "lined" texture with a linear direction of the "pattern" to it on both sides that is kind of trying to be parallel to the "leading edge". both sides seem to have more or less the same texture, so it's not like there's a noticeable front or back to the thing. the surface seems to be some variant of cortical bone, because on the broken ends, you can see that both sides, viewed in the cross section, seem to consist of approximately quarter-inch-thick cortical bone with fairly finely porous cancellous bone in the middle. the ratio of the cortical bone on each side to the cancellous bone in the middle is much higher than "normal" on most mammal bones, so this thing seems like it was meant to be pretty strong for some reason.

at any rate, what's weird to me is that i've found a bazillion pieces of bone, but this is the only one i've ever found with this texture on it. anybody know what it could be from?

post-488-087854800 1289489915_thumb.jpg

post-488-031722300 1289489921_thumb.jpg

post-488-058730400 1289489923_thumb.jpg

:) Wish I could tell you.Occasionally I find a piece like that here but never thought about it.I guess I need to spend a little more time thinking. :D

Bear-dog.

Pelvic bones of the Pleistocene mega-fauna have textures that can be similar. They also go from thick to thin in unusual shapes.

Part of a mammoth pelvis

post-420-074168200 1289536523_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ