Paratodus Benendeni?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

last summer when we were in ocean city we went to some of the local shops and bought sharks teeth mostly pathologic teeth but one tooth that i saw stood out, to me it looks like a benendeni but i dont know if it is or not. Along with the picture of the tooth i added some of the other teeth i bought.

post-17-1210793090_thumb.jpg

post-17-1210793119_thumb.jpg

post-17-1210793140_thumb.jpg

post-17-1210793158_thumb.jpg

post-17-1210793170_thumb.jpg

To me, it appears possible to be a Parotodus sp., but probably not benedeni, especially if it is another morrocan tooth from the Eocene. If you could post a pic of the labial side view, maybe it would help to identify it a little easier.

But for now, my initial assertion is that it is in the Parotodus lineage, remembering that Parotodus is an offshoot of Otodus.

Either way, nice tooth.

Rob

• I found this Informative 1

Guest bmorefossil

oh im just so use to paratodus benendeni from around here i didnt know there was another kind

post-17-1210798192_thumb.jpg

post-17-1210798204_thumb.jpg

The non-display side photo won me over. It certainly looks like an eocene Parotodus sp. from Morocco. Great, rare tooth. I also love the tri-pod Otodus in your original post.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil

wow thanks im glad i bought it for $1.99 i feel like im on the antique roadshow or something. lol

wow thanks im glad i bought it for $1.99 i feel like im on the antique roadshow or something. lol

How'd you like to double your money?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You made a very good purchase. The Moroccan Paratodus are not common at all. I have searched over 200 pounds of mixed small teeth from Morocco and only found three or four Paratodus. Do you have Oligocene, Miocene, and Pliocene Paratodus teeth to go with it? That line-up would make a nice pic.

Man , those are some real nice teeth and a great buy too WTG !!!!!! B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!