Critters Encountered While Fossil Hunting

Xiphactinus

Came across this fellow while out in the Yuha Basin (near Ocotillo, CA), near the oyster beds:

DSC06475A.jpg

Their camoflage works so well, you usually don't see them until you're a foot away and they scurry off!

I'm no expert, but I have a lifetime of experience... :blink:

Hi,

No pics but have seen antelope(prone horn),mulie deer,Golden and Bald eagles and lots and lots of rattlers...........Of cource the general jack rabbit or two-LOL......

The best is the rivers,like the Yellowstone,Mussellshell and Missouri rivers in Montana.Seeing them while hunting fossils makes a guy wonder of the adventures the people had years ago on these waters!

Please, write bigger !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a horny toad....that is awesome....when I was a kid - I would find horny toads all the time on the coast of Texas - but unfortunately, they are almost completely gone form that area.....I think it was a function of urban development and pesticides.

Art-

What type of bug is that? looks like a cross between a spider, a crayfish and a scorpion. I think it a super-sized version could be in a Japanese horror movie opposite Mothra.

Here are a few I have bumped into. The fox was to late in the year for fossil hunting but I had found some plant fossils in the area.

Unfortunatly I have only recently started carring a camera, so most of my animal encounters have no photographic evidence.

I actually had a close encounter with a sow brown bear with 2 large cubs (had my camera), unfortunatly taking pictures did not cross my mind.

post-5075-0-45156100-1336681796_thumb.jpg

post-5075-0-10644900-1336681812_thumb.jpg

post-5075-0-11489300-1336681854_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Saw a great looking king snake today in the Huachuka Mountains...I did not measure it, but it was at least two and a half to three feet long.

kingsnake.jpg

kingsnake2.jpg

Walt

I've hiked on foot into as well as rapelled into, from Blackhawks and Hueys, areas all over the Huachucas! Love that area of Arizona! It' s beautiful! Unfortunately, when I was in MI school at Ft. Huachuca in the early 90's, I didn't get much of a chance to hunt fossils. Are there many places to hunt in that area, and if so what kind can you find?

• 6 months later...

Just missed a porcupine by less than 30 min. By the size of the track, it was a big fellow!

(Badlands - southern Alberta - Sept 2012)

1z4ln5j.jpg

Just missed a porcupine by less than 30 min. By the size of the track, it was a big fellow!

(Badlands - southern Alberta - Sept 2012)

Looks like you would have at least had some room to move around him. Many moons ago I was backpacking in the Catskills and we got stuck behind a big porcupine who was on the very narrow ridge-line trail in front of us. At least he was going in the direction we wanted to go, but he would not be hurried and we just thought it best to let him set the pace for what was probably another couple of hundred yards before leaving the trail and letting us move forward.

Archived