Lake Jacksboro

CreekCrawler

I'm going there with a non fossil friend to do some fishing/ casual fossil hunting. If anyone of you Tx folks are out and about Saturday in the area I'd like to say hi! :)

I'm going there with a non fossil friend to do some fishing/ casual fossil hunting. If anyone of you Tx folks are out and about Saturday in the area I'd like to say hi! :)

Quick note - didn't see your post until this evening. . . . if you are going to Lost Creek Reservoir just outside of Jacksboro, TX be sure to remember a couple of things -

1. It is Corp of Engineer property and therefore you are not to collect fossils around the edge of the lake.

2. the dam is on the south end of the lake - to the southwest side there is a natual spillway. You can beach you boat there. Walk ACROSS the road and carefully cross the barb wire fence (would suggest crossing over it at the gate - less chance of ending up a soprano!!) - you'll see the road - not much more than a jeep trail that crosses the dam. To the south of the road you can fossil hunt on the flats and on the hill to the west to your hearts content but on the lake side of the road - it's Corp of Engineer property and they don't like it. . .

You will be hunting in the Finis Shale - Pennsylvanian in age. Lots of great gastropods, conularia, petalodus teeth and other beasties!!

btw - chances are if the COE people do catch you - ask forgiveness because if you ask permission, you won't get it. . . .

if you see a herd of cattle - try not to spook them - generally they want nothing to do with you and will move away on their own - just be careful because momma cows are still careful with their calves.

Have a good time - I have found great stuff everytime I've been there.

Roger

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just fish then because I will not tresspass on private property!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if I recall correctly inside the fence where the black flats and slope is that is land leased by the Cattleman's Association and the trail that goes around the lake goes through the state park.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just fish then because I will not tresspass on private property!

You can still hunt at the back part by the spillway!!! That is where most all the fossils are anyway...

It's legal, and I have been there numerous times.

Welcome to the forum!

You can still hunt at the back part by the spillway!!! That is where most all the fossils are anyway...

It's legal, and I have been there numerous times.

I've seen the spillway. and the area with all the erosion channels on the hill. Where are you exactly talking about Roz?

This link gives better directions than I could.

Jacksboro Spillway Directions Here

In the pic, you walk on that main path,. You can hunt all that area, straight back in the distance (looking at the pic straight on, that huge hill of exposure going east and west is legal hunting). The fence on the right (as you are walking in), is no hunting. The left fence and straight, you can go for it. The place is literally packed with fossils.

Have fun and find lots of good stuff!

Welcome to the forum!

Here's the area as I recall it being explained and what part is Corp of Engineer land. The time I went when the Austin group was visiting they hit the CoE area and I hunted the flats and slopes.

For new people visiting the site:

Please just take a few good examples of a species and leave some for others (Fossil Karma). I've heard tale of someone actually having a mason jar FULL of Conularids. WHY does someone need that many?

The walk down the causeway from the parking area is half a mile, if you can fit a bicycle in the vehicle use it.

post-11-1211843525_thumb.jpg

The walk down the causeway from the parking area is half a mile, if you can fit a bicycle in the vehicle use it.
Don't worry lance I won't clean the place out! LOL I've seen that exposure and it looks killer! Do I hop the fence? Or in the pic do I take the left gravel rd at the parking area instead of crossing the trail on top of the dam? Thanks for the great pic of the area!And thanks Roz for the reply! You see my friend and I hiked all the way to the dam with bacpacks from the Causeway Rd access by the airport. I didn't see an opening in the fence anywhere!

B

Don't worry lance I won't clean the place out! LOL I've seen that exposure and it looks killer! Do I hop the fence? Or in the pic do I take the left gravel rd at the parking area instead of crossing the trail on top of the dam? Thanks for the great pic of the area!And thanks Roz for the reply! You see my friend and I hiked all the way to the dam with bacpacks from the Causeway Rd access by the airport. I didn't see an opening in the fence anywhere!

B

When you get to where the picture is taken, you climb over the gate. Walk across the top of the dam to the other side. On your right you'll see the natural spillway on the left will be a flat plain with a barb wire fence. You can "hop" the fence but I would suggest going to where there is a gate and crossing there.

Hopefully I have attached a picture of the exposure close up.

Roger

post-154-1211901681_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I have attached a picture of the exposure close up.

Roger

Thanks all, I think I have it now! I was raised properly and hopping a fence seems like a no-no to me, but I will trust all of you not to steer me wrong! Hey, I see some horn coral in the pic LOL :)