Exhausted But Hunted Anyway

JimB88

Got off work at 7am this morning and decided to do a little hunting. Went back to the abandoned quarry to look in the Bangor Limestone again. After climbing the talus piles for a couple hours I realized it was probably a bad idea. The hike to the car (up hill with a back-pack full of rocks) took the last bits of energy from me. I barely made it home.

I didnt find the two things I was looking for (more teeth, and Naticopsis gastropods.) But I did find some interesting brachs, some incomplete but huge blastoids and a Archimedes with fronds associated.

heres some lousy pics.. :D

post-2953-063446200 1290210083_thumb.jpg

This is a large productid of some kind.

post-2953-076218700 1290210268_thumb.jpg

Ive never seen one of these, shouldn't be too hard for me to ID. It looks very nice though Im not sure if I can get it out of the matrix.

post-2953-035748200 1290210485_thumb.jpg

these are the biggest blastoids Ive ever seen...and the most frustrating as I cant find a whole one :angry:

I think they are Pentremites robustus.

post-2953-081092900 1290210664_thumb.jpg

I found this light gray layer with many productids (most likely Productus.)

post-2953-087831800 1290210794_thumb.jpg

I apologize for this photo, no matter how I arranged the lights I couldn't get a good pic of the fronds. I thought this was neat - its eroded flat on the front, but the back has two fronds still attached. The arrows point to the cross section of the frond as they connect to the axis.

I was a little dissapointed that I didnt find either of my primary objectives but it was still a good hunt! :D

JimB88 Nice finds..... If its a working quarry I would imagine the fruitful collecting times will fluctuate depending on the layers they are digging prior to your visit...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

:) Bless you,there still are a few of us out there.Have done that a few times in life.Nice finds.Great effort. :goodjob:

Bear-dog.

nice,

it's amazing how we find that little extra energy when needed when fossil hunting. as tired as i get i find it hard not to look.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

First pic looks to be a productid, Inflatia

2 is a brachiopod Reticularina, .75 inch is average size

3 is Pentremites cherokeeus they are common in that interval of that area, this species of blastoid get quit large.

4 is a productid, Diaphragmus connot remembe rthe species right now

Nice finds! You have some very productive collecting areas! I like the productid brachs the best. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived