• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

A friend of mine and I have been hunting for a good place to find some trilobites for a year or so, I didn't even think that my uncle owned land that had some creek beds on it.
We went there today and these were my finds...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My friend found a head of one that we estimated to be about 4.5"
The hunting was a little challenging due to all the leaves on the ground.
We were there for about 2 1/2 hours and also found a ton of hyoliths as well

One thing has puzzled me though I found this brachiopod that to me is just way out of place, every where that I've been finding brachiopods there was no trace at all of trilobites or hyoliths at all! I have no clue how this got here the location is in the middle of no where and we didn't find any more...go figure!
Posted Image
Jeff Adair

#2 Phoenixflood

Phoenixflood

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Cool Georgia trilos :)
The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

#3 fossiladdict

fossiladdict

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

Very neat finds indeed. I need to get out here in Texas and do some more trilobite searching as I really do love those bugs!
Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

#4 piranha

piranha

IPFOTM 08/11; *2011 IPFOTY

• Editing Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Awards

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

I have a small bug from Western Georgia although I'm not very familiar with the Georgia Paleozoic.
It's labeled as Elrathia antiquata - Middle Cambrian - Conasauga Formation and measures 15mm.
This little bug was acquired from Larry Osterberger back in the late 90's at a MAPS show.
Good luck collecting and please post any additional trilos that you find. :D

Attached Files

#5 FossilDAWG

FossilDAWG

Member of the Month May 2011

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Awards

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Cool trilobites. They all (and especially the last one) look like Elrathia antiquata to me. There are a lot of names in the literature, most generated by Resser, including Elrathia georgiana, but Schwimmer (Taxonomy and biostratigraphic significance of some Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Conasagua Formation in Western Georgia, Journal of Paleontology 63:484-494) showed that they are all synonyms of E. antiquata. The issue was that some specimens are 3-dimensional in chert cobbles (like yours), and some are flattened in shale, and these can look quite different.

Here's a picture of one I found in North-East Alabama, probably not to far from yours.

Don

Attached File  E antiquata2.JPG   21.13KB   30 downloads

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Cool trilobites. They all (and especially the last one) look like Elrathia antiquata to me. There are a lot of names in the literature, most generated by Resser, including Elrathia georgiana, but Schwimmer (Taxonomy and biostratigraphic significance of some Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Conasagua Formation in Western Georgia, Journal of Paleontology 63:484-494) showed that they are all synonyms of E. antiquata. The issue was that some specimens are 3-dimensional in chert cobbles (like yours), and some are flattened in shale, and these can look quite different.

Here's a picture of one I found in North-East Alabama, probably not to far from yours.

Don

Attached File  E antiquata2.JPG   21.13KB   30 downloads

That is a good looking one,
I've been wanting to get to Lake Weiss some time in Feb. when the watter is low but I need to research where will be the best place to look.
Jeff Adair

#7 glacialerratic

glacialerratic

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

Nice finds! I like the matrix/preservation of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users