Nw Georgia Trilobites...

Jeff

A friend of mine and I have been hunting for a good place to find some trilobites for a year or so, I didn't even think that my uncle owned land that had some creek beds on it.

We went there today and these were my finds...

DSC05928.jpg

DSC05930.jpg

DSC05931.jpg

My friend found a head of one that we estimated to be about 4.5"

The hunting was a little challenging due to all the leaves on the ground.

We were there for about 2 1/2 hours and also found a ton of hyoliths as well

One thing has puzzled me though I found this brachiopod that to me is just way out of place, every where that I've been finding brachiopods there was no trace at all of trilobites or hyoliths at all! I have no clue how this got here the location is in the middle of no where and we didn't find any more...go figure!

DSC05932.jpg

Jeff Adair

Very neat finds indeed. I need to get out here in Texas and do some more trilobite searching as I really do love those bugs!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Elrathia antiquata - Middle Cambrian - Conasauga Formation and measures 15mm.

This little bug was acquired from Larry Osterberger back in the late 90's at MAPS.

post-4301-050059200 1290477764_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Cool trilobites. They all (and especially the last one) look like Elrathia antiquata to me. There are a lot of names in the literature, most generated by Resser, including Elrathia georgiana, but Schwimmer (Taxonomy and biostratigraphic significance of some Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Conasagua Formation in Western Georgia, Journal of Paleontology 63:484-494) showed that they are all synonyms of E. antiquata. The issue was that some specimens are 3-dimensional in chert cobbles (like yours), and some are flattened in shale, and these can look quite different.

Here's a picture of one I found in North-East Alabama, probably not to far from yours.

Don

post-528-082600200 1290478137_thumb.jpg

Cool trilobites. They all (and especially the last one) look like Elrathia antiquata to me. There are a lot of names in the literature, most generated by Resser, including Elrathia georgiana, but Schwimmer (Taxonomy and biostratigraphic significance of some Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Conasagua Formation in Western Georgia, Journal of Paleontology 63:484-494) showed that they are all synonyms of E. antiquata. The issue was that some specimens are 3-dimensional in chert cobbles (like yours), and some are flattened in shale, and these can look quite different.

Here's a picture of one I found in North-East Alabama, probably not to far from yours.

Don

post-528-082600200 1290478137_thumb.jpg

That is a good looking one,

I've been wanting to get to Lake Weiss some time in Feb. when the watter is low but I need to research where will be the best place to look.

Jeff Adair

• 6 years later...

This thread is a good example of why we should strongly discourage using links to outside image storage sites such as photobucket: they links often quickly die, leaving a thread stripped of images.  People should instead upload their images to the Fossil Forum so they can be permanently be associated with the thread.

While googling for info about local trilobites, images from the thread came up in the search page, though they can no longer be accessed by clicking on the images themselves in Google, or through the Forum.  In order to restore this thread to some semblance of its original self, I copied and saved the images I was able to find.  As they are from the image search page they may be degraded compared to the originals.  

Don C

GA trilo 1.jpg

GA trilo 2.jpg

GA trilo 3.jpg

Archived