Proportional Geologic Time Scale

Wrangellian

I don't know if this is the best spot to post this but I thought I would put it up for people to use. I drew it up because I could not find a timescale that showed the different divisions in proper proportion to one another. I also made it to be updatable as the ICS comes out with revisions. Then I put it into perspective with events on the righthand side, including events that pertain to my home region Vancouver Island, to use with fossil displays etc. I wanted to aim it at a general audience, so I didn't get too technical. I will post a more general version as well that is not specifically Van.Isld-oriented. You can edit it yourself for that matter, but I suggest converting it to a bitmap first, to prevent the loss of resolution you get when saving a jpeg. (They started as bmps but I had to change to jpg so they would be small enough files to upload here.) At full size it'll print out onto 3 pages - I recommend printing in 'landscape' so it can be printed at full size - then taping the pages together.

If there are any flaws or inaccuracies I would appreciate them being pointed out to me so I can fix them. For instance, I don't know if there is a difference between a tetrapod and an amphibian, so I included both because the references I found were for different dates. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that..

Enjoy!

EDIT: Scroll down to end of thread to get latest version.

post-4372-097539400 1290508922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I found this Informative 8

:Thumbs Up: Thanks very much!

Roger

You're all welcome!

I can't wait till they sort out the Ediacaran, Cambrian and Carboniferous subdivisions. When they do I'll post an updated version.

We might want to pin this one or it will get buried every time I update the pdf library.

-Joe

• I Agree 1

Time Scale Creator

Be sure to use the USGS colors ;)

Not that yours is not nice :blush:

I think I tried that site once but couldn't get it to do what I did above.

You can add the colors yourself - I'm sure there are other color schemes that people might want to use instead.. I'm going to leave it uncolored!

I did make a smaller 1-page timescale for the Precambrian with colors, based on someone else's template though so not sure if it's kosher to post it.

Cheers all.

Eric

Edited by Wrangellian

I think I tried that site once but couldn't get it to do what I did above.

Yes, I've just checked it out and it looks somewhat complicated and to an extent limited in that certain things are unchangeable by the looks of things. But it's useful for certain purposes and contains a lot of useful information packed into one site. Therefore thanks to Ammonoid for the link.

Roger.

Edited by Ludwigia
  • 1 month later...

Here is a 'deluxe' version for North America with the old N.A. units and some others (Camb, Ordo) alongside the ones in the earlier version above. I thought I would quit here, this could get out of hand...

If there is anything missing or incorrect I welcome any tips!

Eric

post-4372-0-96513500-1295162310_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Here is the revised version for North America with data from the Int'l Comm on Stratigraphy (ICS)'s Time Scale Creator. Changes mostly in the Cambrian. I don't know exactly how the Upper Camb. Croixian stages - which seem to be an alternate scale to the one shown adjacent - fit in, but I got the dates from the wikipedia List of Geochronologic Names (which includes dates for most of the units listed but I'm not sure how accurate/current any of that is):

post-4372-0-27889000-1321075538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure why it's showing smaller and fuzzier than the original file, I tried the basic editor which restricts file size to 755kb (file is 1.26MB), so then I tried the advanced editor which is supposed to allow files up to 2MB, but it still came out small and fuzzy!! I give up.

Eric,

If you'd like to try it again, it shouldn't resize the image this time. The settings for images had them being resized for anything taller than 1200px. It's up much higher now.

Hmm, it's still shrinking it, though not as much. I dont want it to be shrunk at all, if possible, because the lines and text are already only 1 pixel wide.

When I click on it after opening the thumbnail, it expands to 2,500 pixels high, with excellent resolution.

Excellent? Maybe 'good', but it's not 100% - compare it to my earlier versions posted above. The original is 3020px high.

• 5 months later...