Proportional Geologic Time Scale

Wrangellian

On 10/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, Wrangellian said:

Thanks, CL.  That's the problem, not many come across it, I think! Maybe not enough..

Oh my gosh, this is wonderful! I have also just run across your marvelous time scale with events to help understand the geological sequence. I printed  it out for future reference and at 26 pages now has its own 3 ring folder. 
A very BIG thank you!

AK Hiker

Edited by AK hiker
Correction to word
  • Thank You 1
On 8/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, AK hiker said:

Oh my gosh, this is wonderful! I have also just run across your marvelous time scale with events to help understand the geological sequence. I printed  it out for future reference and at 26 pages now has its own 3 ring folder. 
A very BIG thank you!

AK Hiker

26 pages?? I printed it up and it fit on 3 with room to spare.

Here's the latest version of the general (world units only) chart:

timescale-general.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
couple small edits to the chart
6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

26 pages?? I printed it up and it fit on 3 with room to spare.

I am really showing my poor computer skills with this one :DOH: 26 pages of the same thing, all numbered nicely in a single column too small to read so I needed to get my dental loops to read it. Having done that fess up to my blunder and my wife came to the rescue and it is now printed in large format expanded to 4 pages. Apologies to the author and trees sacrificed for my ineptitude.  :sick:

Ha! Well computers have a way of making a lot of us look inept.

Did some of it go off the right edge, or did you print landscape format? That would make 4 pages, and easier to read too.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Ha! Well computers have a way of making a lot of us look inept.

Did some of it go off the right edge, or did you print landscape format? That would make 4 pages, and easier to read too.

Thanks for understanding. I loaded the page and hit print. Turns out the whole list was printed on one page so micro sized print, with twenty six pages printed, all the same, each numbered from one to twenty six. I dutifully punched holes and inserted in its own 3 ring binder for future reference once I brought my loops home to read the massive work. My wife rescued me by printing 4 sections with some overlap in the 4 pages. When reading papers on Alaskan ammonites or other fossils I will have on hand the geologic time scale printed out to help me get orientated to the nomenclature and time line which with your work will be most helpful.

Thanks again.

That's the idea... It is so much easier to absorb information in the form of charts and maps than piecemeal from text.

• I Agree 1

If I could just download this to my phone. I would pay for the app. 

Thanks for making this available to us! For now it will go on my wall. 

21 hours ago, Christine.Rowland said:

If I could just download this to my phone. I would pay for the app. 

Thanks for making this available to us! For now it will go on my wall. 

You're welcome. The more feedback I get the more encouraged I am to continue with it.

I am not a cellphone user so I don't know why you can't download it or what app you would need, but I have it printed up and hanging on my wall. Trouble is every time I update it I need to print it again, so I tend not to print it until the differences accumulate sufficiently!

Edited by Wrangellian
On 8/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, Wrangellian said:

I am not a cellphone user so I don't know why you can't download it or what app you would need,

I was able to attach a link to your scale on my Home Screen. I could just ask my grandkids, but then I wouldn’t learn anything. :Wink1:

My reference to the app was to imply that if your scale could be purchased as an app, I would gladly pay for it. Though, making your passion an enterprise might ruin all the fun. 

Ha! Learning new things is great but if it slows down the getting of results, I would tend to be lazy and choose the immediate gratification of getting someone who knows what they're doing to help me.....

Case in point, I know nothing of programming. I built these charts using Paint, in Windows - knives and bearskins to most people. There is the Time Scale Creator program which is probably far better than anything I could manage even if I could make some sort of app.

• 4 months later...

Nice. What are its terms of use?

Wrangellian
On 1/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, kgbudge said:

Nice. What are its terms of use?

Hadn't really thought of that. You're not going to use it for profit in any way? I guess any other use is fine.