Baby Alligator Head

Swineford1

I found these in Gulf Shores, Alabama. I am always on the lookout for fossils. I looked and could not find any of these on the web. Please let me know what I have.

post-4506-012390800 1290733856_thumb.jpg

Those are very cool fossils! Congratulations and welcome

to the forum.. Those are a first for me.. Had to look up

the name to read about them

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forum!

Very Cool Finds! :)

The patternation on them is unique! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

heres one i found south texas i do believe they are millions of years old.other stuff in pic was not found where we find fossil sharkteeth ect.

post-152-028718200 1290970376_thumb.jpg

heres one i found south texas i do believe they are millions of years old.other stuff in pic was not found where we find fossil sharkteeth ect.

I found more of them the next day all in the same area, The inner beach at Gulf Shores, ALA. Thanks for the input. Here is a pic of all of them together. The odd thing is that I found a newer one along with the old. They also have four holes in each that go all the way thru to the back.

post-4506-022502800 1291010923_thumb.jpg

I found more of them the next day all in the same area, The inner beach at Gulf Shores, ALA. Thanks for the input. Here is a pic of all of them together. The odd thing is that I found a newer one along with the old. They also have four holes in each that go all the way thru to the back.

I was going thru some of my previous trips and came across this fossil I had put in the unknown category. WOW what a remarkable resemblance. They are different, but not by much.

post-4506-009242400 1291051285_thumb.jpg

A lot of gar skulls wash up along the lakes here and I don't recall seeing any like. Granted, none are that small but gar don't seem to change much in morphology (ontology) as they grow.

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, you are saying they are not gar, so we all agree they are not baby alligators. That is what I was trying to get across. They are not fossil baby alligator skulls.

Now, I have looked up this Sea Robin thing and have found zero pictures of their skulls that look anything like these items. The Sea Robin skulls I have found pics of look more like Sailcat (salt water catfish) skulls. So please, someone, send a link to pics that show these to be Sea Robin skulls. The link I used earlier to a gar skull, when you zoom in to the upper part of the skull clearly looks exactly like these items, with the strations an all. So if I am wrong, and I definitely could be cause I sure do not have either item in my collection, especially fossil ones, then show me the pictures. I am a see-it-to-believe-it type person.

Del

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for the link, but it is exactly like I said... too delicate looking. More like a sailcat's skull. So why do you all think the items shown look like this fish, the Sea Robin? Does anyone else have a more detailed pic of a sea robin's skull that looks like the items in question in this thread?

On 11/30/2010 at 1:52 PM, JohnJ said:
On 11/30/2010 at 3:05 PM, N.AL.hunter said:

Thanks for the link, but it is exactly like I said... too delicate looking. More like a sailcat's skull. So why do you all think the items shown look like this fish, the Sea Robin? Does anyone else have a more detailed pic of a sea robin's skull that looks like the items in question in this thread?

Del, the "fossils" in this thread are the section on top of the skull from between the eyes to the snout. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow this is intense. I would have to agree that they are not sea-robin or gar. I have been feverishly looking since I posted the items. I even went to the library with no avail. I appreciate all the input. It does help me out a great deal, I am by no means an expert. I am not giving up, I will find out what these are. There are to many of them to not have an answer.

Wow this is intense. I would have to agree that they are not sea-robin or gar. I have been feverishly looking since I posted the items. I even went to the library with no avail. I appreciate all the input. It does help me out a great deal, I am by no means an expert. I am not giving up, I will find out what these are. There are to many of them to not have an answer.

:)Confirmation of the prior answers :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest N.AL.hunter

I finally found a picture of a species of sea robin that shows me what I was looking for:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wdtCRgVZ6yE/TFQXlJstF3I/AAAAAAAAJeM/179CSkmJZzM/s1600/DSC07749.JPG

So now I see why you are classifying this as a sea robin. Weird fish group that I didn't even know was so common. Learned something new today!! Now I get my cookie when I get home!

Archived