My Fossil Room

Xiphactinus

WOW This is very very nice , you must have HAD a lot of money at one time.HEHE!!

not a lot of money involved there. Just lots of time and pounding on rocks.

WOW!! :thumbsu::goodjob:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I was about 4 when I started. I still have one cephalopod I found when I was 5.

When was your first chalk hunt?

First trip to the chalk was in 1997.

Boy did we not know what we were doing! First off, you don't take 3 little ones (smallest in diapers) for a week-long expedition in the chalk in August. Sizzle.... We took a whole coffee can of plaster in case we found something. (Now we usually take at least 5 big bags!)

Awesome. Missed this post myself. Would love to do some more chalk hunting. Have not in a few years !

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible collection of fossils! I just called my wife in to look at the pictures of your place – “See honey, I don’t have nearly as many as this guy” (Although, I sure would like to someday!) Thanks for sharing!

O to the M to the G!!!!!!!!!!! So jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 3 weeks later...

Just incredible!!!! I am speechless!

I live near St. Louis and would love to see your museum! I do not possess the knowledge to carry on a scientific discussion of paleontology but my wife and I are very much addicted. We also have a nice prep lab but have much to learn.

OUTSTANDING!

• 5 years later...

Nothing like having a giant apex predator hanging in your room, along with smaller predators that are just as awesome. No need to worry about getting eaten because they're long dead ;)

It mentioned in the middle of this about searching the forum to find hidden treasures. 

Well, this was one. 

Golly, that's so beautiful. 

Just astounding. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That is incredible, did you find the big one yourself? Words cannot describe how cool that room is.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Really neat room!  I'm sure you have updated it since 2010, have you added any other fossils to the museum that we'd be able to see? :).

One day I will have a collection like this. Nice reward for all the hard work over the years.Very nice!

Thanks for all the kind words. Haven’t done much collecting the last few years so nothing too exciting to show. Last kid graduates college next month, so I plan on cranking up the collecting and prepping!

Outstanding room and a spectacular fossil collection to go with it! So far, I have only been able to dream of something so organized. Good luck with collection expansion! 

Astounding and outstanding! A collection that almost defies adjectives. You must be very proud. 

Archived