Anomoeodus Subclavatus (parrot Fish)

Synechodus

This find is a bit outdated as it dates back to January 2008.

Found it in a Belgian quarry near the town of Eben Emael, where deposits from the latest period of the Cretaceous, the Maastrichtian, are accessible.

Don't ask me why I chose to chop up this particular block or why I kept at it for so long despite finding nothing at all in it for some half hour.

Actually, I was about to give up and had already straightened my back to head elsewhere, when I decided to give that block another smack with the sledgehammer and then look and behold what popped out. Having seen this type of teeth before I immediately recognized them as belonging to Anomoedus subclavatus, a parrot fish. Already thrilled with this find of several associated teeth nothing could have prepared me for what I uncovered during prepping.

Attached is a set of pictures I took while prepping.

Can you imagine how my heart raced with every new tooth showing?

I still wonder at my discipline in taking intermediate shots. I am still glad I did though.

Judging from the wear shown by some of the teeth and their size it was probably an old specimen and well over 3 meters long. It must have dwarfed most sharks at that time.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Paul

post-456-1211182767_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182783_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182792_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182799_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182814_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182828_thumb.jpg post-456-1211182837_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Guest N.AL.hunter

Paul, nice find. If you look at my gallery from the Frankstown, Mississippi site, you will see a very similar specimen there.

From heart-stopper to show-stopper; what a great find! (And to think it almost wasn't...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Paul, nice find. If you look at my gallery from the Frankstown, Mississippi site, you will see a very similar specimen there.

Your piece looks nice too, indeed!

Might even be like the same species.

What period are the deposits over there from?

Cheers,

Paul

Guest N.AL.hunter

The Frankstown site is late Cretaceous. It was the most prolific site for shark teeth and other fossils for a two year period of time (my students and I, total of four people, collected over 3000 teeth in one day! All whole). The site was uncovered during highway construction and allowed to be collected for two years until they just couldn't wait any longer and had to finish the highway. Too bad they couldn't have re-routed that section.

The Frankstown site is late Cretaceous. It was the most prolific site for shark teeth and other fossils for a two year period of time (my students and I, total of four people, collected over 3000 teeth in one day! All whole). The site was uncovered during highway construction and allowed to be collected for two years until they just couldn't wait any longer and had to finish the highway. Too bad they couldn't have re-routed that section.

So both your find and mine are from the Late Cretaceous. This surely raises the odds that both are from the same species of Parrot Fisch.

Some 3000 Shark Teeth in a day? RU kidding?

You were never tempted to tear open the tarmac afterwards? :D

Cheers,

Paul