Coffee Can For Creek/river Sifting

Serack

When I started shark tooth sifting in the Peace River FL, I was frustrated by gravel getting washed off my shovel as I lifted it up in the water to my sifter. We were camping and happened to have a very large can of coffee which was promptly dumped into another container and we used the can as a replacement for the shovel. Since then, if I am working in submerged gravel I use a coffee can almost exclusively and it works very well.

I have been looking at a lot of other people's pics from Peace River sifting lately and I have seen a lot of shovels and nothing else, so I was wondering if other people have better shoveling techniques than I do, or if I came up with something novel that I should share with others.

Gotta use what works for you, might be kind of hard to dig through a solid bottom with the can, that's where a shove. comes in handy. Best contraption I saw for river/creek sifting is a long handled sand flea scoop, fisherman use them on the beaches to collect them in the surf.

Gotta use what works for you, might be kind of hard to dig through a solid bottom with the can, that's where a shove. comes in handy. Best contraption I saw for river/creek sifting is a long handled sand flea scoop, fisherman use them on the beaches to collect them in the surf.

I've seen pics of that too. I tried one a while ago and had trouble getting it into the coarse gravel at the bottom back then.

Archived