Help Identify 3 Fossils Foot,bone, And Skin

stonecarver

I HAVE HAD THESE FOR A LONG TIME AND NEED HELP IDENTIFING THEM- THE FIRST IS A CLAW OR FOOT ABOUT 2 1/2 IN LONG AND 2 1/2 IN WIDE, IT HAS TWO TOES.

THE NEXT IS SKIN WITH TWO BONES 3 IN LONG

THE LAST IS A LARGE END OF A BONE THAT HAS WEAR AND MY HAVE BEEN USED A TOOL ABOUT 5 IN LONG AND 4 IN WIDE.

ANY HELP WITH THESE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

post-4537-090194100 1291150383_thumb.jpg

post-4537-076605800 1291150404_thumb.jpg

post-4537-081831800 1291150418_thumb.jpg

post-4537-039723800 1291150436_thumb.jpg

post-4537-049787900 1291150446_thumb.jpg

post-4537-094811500 1291150468_thumb.jpg

post-4537-034399600 1291150482_thumb.jpg

The middle three pics remind me of turtle material...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The first 2 look like some bone fragment. I can't really ID past that. The next is as Auspex said turtle shell. The final doesn't look like a fossil to me...

Stonecarver, can you give us a little more info? Where were these found? Do you know the rock formation by chance? That will help with the ID.

The interesting pattern looks a lot like Acipenser material we've been collecting in the Eocene. Doesn't appear to be turtle, could be, but I'm guessing Acipenser Sturgeon; Permian amphib skulls have similar patterns too.

I HAVE HAD THESE FOR A LONG TIME AND NEED HELP IDENTIFING THEM- THE FIRST IS A CLAW OR FOOT ABOUT 2 1/2 IN LONG AND 2 1/2 IN WIDE, IT HAS TWO TOES.

THE NEXT IS SKIN WITH TWO BONES 3 IN LONG

THE LAST IS A LARGE END OF A BONE THAT HAS WEAR AND MY HAVE BEEN USED A TOOL ABOUT 5 IN LONG AND 4 IN WIDE.

ANY HELP WITH THESE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

the pattern on sturgeon looks to be the reverse of turtle - looking like raised "islands" instead of depressed "dimples". but on all these types of patterned bone, it is my understanding that the pattern is there due to direct skin attachment to the bone without muscle in between. this is why it isn't that common on all kinds of bone, because most bones usually are surrounded by muscles, not skin directly. and so the "dimpled" turtle shell is from soft-shelled turtles with flexible skin on their shell as opposed to the "regular" turtles with keratin covering the shell.

sturgeon

Cool. Good image.

the pattern on sturgeon looks to be the reverse of turtle - looking like raised "islands" instead of depressed "dimples". but on all these types of patterned bone, it is my understanding that the pattern is there due to direct skin attachment to the bone without muscle in between. this is why it isn't that common on all kinds of bone, because most bones usually are surrounded by muscles, not skin directly. and so the "dimpled" turtle shell is from soft-shelled turtles with flexible skin on their shell as opposed to the "regular" turtles with keratin covering the shell.

sturgeon

Sturgeon (Lee Creek - Pliocene)

sturgeon640.jpg

Soft Shell Turtle (Maryland - Late Cretaceous)

softshellturtle640.jpg

Soft Shell Turtle (Bone Valley - Miocene)

softshellturtlebonevalley640.jpg

The first 2 look like some bone fragment. I can't really ID past that. The next is as Auspex said turtle shell. The final doesn't look like a fossil to me...

Stonecarver, can you give us a little more info? Where were these found? Do you know the rock formation by chance? That will help with the ID.

Thank you for responding, These came from Utah. I have no further information for them, I am sorry about the poor pics, the first one is defenatly part of a foot or toes as there is webbing between the toes. I wll try to post a better photo as that is the one I am most intrested in.

Stonecarver.... I think its some geological phenomena resulting from bioturbation maybe a worm burrow cast... I can see what your thinking but if the bone of the foot preserved why would the skin to create the webbing...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Stonecarver - thanks for the better pix. The first is 100% turtle shell. The second...I'm not sure about. It's definitely not a foot. You'd see individual bones that aren't there. Having seen the better photos, I'm kind of leaning with Terry that it's not a fossil but a geologic formation. I don't see bone.

:) In your second photo ,the second picture is a turtle scute as well.We find them in our area all the time,so much so I dont pick any up.If you look on the back side [what you thought was the skin side]you will see a pattern.The pattern can tell you what kind of turtle it came from. :D

Bear-dog.