'fossils Were Pouring Out Of The Ground'

Kentuckiana Mike

There is a nice story (aired November 29, 2010) on PBS's New Hour program about a Colorado site with Ice Age fossils. The fossils are being excavated by Kirk Johnson and a group from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. They date the fossils at between 45,000 and 125,000 years old. They list as vertebrates fossils found: mammoth, sloth, mastodon, and bison plus invertebrates, insects, & plants).

Visit the PBS web site here to see 4 minute 31 second video (also available the audio MP3 file and text transcript).

It should make a great exhibit once they finished collecting and analyzing the finds.

Wow! 9000' site altitude... Makes me wonder how warm it really was? Maybe a last refuge for cold adapted animals? Thanks for the link.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

More information about the Colorado site can be found by reading the blog entry entitled "Snowmastodon Village: A Visual Tour of a Remarkable New Find". She has pictures of some the finds as well.

The fossils listed as found: 100s of pounds of plant material, a tiger salmander, chewed wood by beavers, insects (like iridescent beetles), snails, ostracods, 8-10 American mastodons, 4 Columbian mammoths, 4 ice-age bison, 2 deer, ground sloth, and other animals.

It's so exciting to see this kind of stuff in Colorado. Too bad it's so rare here :( Why does Florida have to get all the good stuff? :D

Every State has their own goodies.I wish we could find dino material or trillos in Fla. :D

Bear-dog.

Archived