Hell Creek Dino Bone?

Andy

Does this fossil look like a piece a dinosaur bone from the Hell Creek Formation of Montana? That's what I was told from the person I bought it from.

Thanks-

post-196-1211227059_thumb.jpg

post-196-1211227067_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like dinosaur bone at all, let alone bone from Hell Creek. Hell Creek bones are kind of a rich rusty brown color, and are usually in coarse, yellowish sandstones.

Usually one way to identify a chunk of bone is to look for trabeculae - trabeculae are the holes that you see on the inside of a bone. Most (99%) of bones have these (the exceptions being weird bones like baleen whale earbones, some sea cow bones, mosasaur quadrates, etc).

• I found this Informative 1

I've seen some pretty gnarley chunks of dino bone, but the pics you posted look more crystaline than what I'm used to seeing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It doesn't have any trabeculae or at least any that is obvious. It looks agatized with green agate. Could it be petrified wood? What could it be? I thought a saw a listing for dino bone on ebay and it had green agate like this piece has.

Thanks-

Note-It also has striations on the side characteristic of petrified wood or bone. My pictures are a little bit blurry, so they really don't show this off. The color of it is dark brown. But, there is some light brown clay attached to it.

Thanks-