Is It A Tharrias Or A Brannerion?

clemsonskulls

Frank Menser

I happen to have the mate (pos/neg) to a fossil that I have seen you post a couple of times on this forum. You are identifying it as a Tharrias araripis, while I have know it to be a Brannerian vestitum. What about this fish tells you that it is a Tharrias? I am only identifying it as a Brannerian because I was told it was, but have no basis in identifying it other than that.

Clemsonskulls

post-4455-000268400 1291328865_thumb.jpg

Your ID is correct :D

When I first purchased the fish, it was labeled as a Tharrias. After consulting with a friend (who is more knowledgeable than me), we decided it was mis-labeled and was indeed a Brannerian.

I rechecked my photos and that is how it is presently listed in my collection. Do you recall what post you saw it mis-ided in?

Brannerian

post-1313-069706800 1291383379_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the other half. :D

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

Your ID is correct :D

When I first purchased the fish, it was labeled as a Tharrias. After consulting with a friend (who is more knowledgeable than me), we decided it was mis-labeled and was indeed a Brannerian.

I rechecked my photos and that is how it is presently listed in my collection. Do you recall what post you saw it mis-ided in?

Brannerian

post-1313-069706800 1291383379_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the other half. :D

Frank

On a Dec. 15 reply to a post entitled "Fossils from the Santana Formation" it is identified as a Tharrias both as a label and as I ran the cursor over the picture.

Clemsonskulls

Frank

On a Dec. 15 reply to a post entitled "Fossils from the Santana Formation" it is identified as a Tharrias both as a label and as I ran the cursor over the picture.

Clemsonskulls

That sounds right. I was not comfortable with the ID when I got it. The biggest reason for the confusion is that our fish is a juvenile and does not have the full adult finnage.

Be true to the reality you create.

Hello Clemsonskull, hello Frank (nice to hear from you again),

I think you are right, this seems to be a juvenile Brannerion. But I am not 100% sure. I am on vacation in Laos and have only my Blackberry with me ( pictures are too small, I will have a better look at them when I am back in Germany).

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).