Another Heart Attack!

RJB

I was puting some acrylic stuff onto my sphenos and all was going super well with the first three, then I decided to do the other three too. On the last one, and keeping an eye on all of them for bubbles and such, I noticed some "cat eyes" on the last one!!! I tried the hair drier on it to try and save it, but that didnt help, so I kept on moving around the acrylic stuff and that helped a little bit, but there is about a square inch of area that is just not quite right!!! Believe me, I felt like having a heart attack!!! After all that work and to have this 'cat eye' stuff happening was really, really, really bothering me. Oh, cat eye is small circles where the material is not sticking to the ammonite! You really cant see it if I was to post a photo of it, but you guys who prep know what Im talking about. I guarantee you that I will be thinking about it in the weeeee hours of the morning!! Dang!!! But all in all, these sphenos are looking much better than I could have hoped for. Ive never done this before, so was rather scared when I got started with the acrylic stuff!!! Once they cure and I finish them up I will post the last photos for my "Sphenodiscus Project". What was truly amazing was that I didnt say one single cuss word??? I must be getting more patience in my old age? Its amazing just how much there is to know about prepping all kinds of fossils. There seems to be no end to learning about prepping!!!

RB

Guest bmorefossil

great story, sorry about them spots i have never seen them myself but i know what your talking about

I sanded and sanded and sanded, all under the faucet and using wet/dry sand paper, but had to quit when I realized that my findrer tips were getting sore and loosing my finger prints!!! I still have lots of sanding to do, then another coat of this acrylic stuff, then lots and lots and lots of more sanding until I get to the polishing stage. I had no idea just how much work these sphenos are!!!! But once done, I will be one happy camper! Ive got lots to do around here building wise, we are adding on 3 additions to our house, but as time alows, I will someday get these done and show the finished photos. I will even put one on the 'trade and sale' part of this forum for sale I think? We'll see, Im not much of a salesman. I need to be pushed in order to sell something. Anyways, I just need more prep time.

RB

Here is one that I have not started the sanding on. Fingers too sore. But you can see how its going with the first coat of acrylic. The sad thing is, you cant see all the color in this thing! I tried different angles to get as much color to show as I could, but without it being in your hands and turning it from side to side, you can only see about half the color and you certianly cant see the reds turn into greens and such!!!!!! But here is this one for you to see. Enjoy.

RB

post-171-1211415262_thumb.jpg

post-171-1211415317_thumb.jpg

WOW! That is ridiculously beautiful!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys. Im also having a party and you all are invited! YeeeeHaaaaaa,,, its PARTY TIME!!!!!! Ok, id better let you in on one thing, its an ammonite sanding party. I hope you all have tuff hands! But now that thats said, I just hope someone shows up. Ive got to wait a couple more days before I do any more sanding.

RB

RB - do you have a photo of what they looked like without the coating? Just curious.

They are beautiful!

RB - do you have a photo of what they looked like without the coating? Just curious.

They are beautiful!

As a matter of fact I do. Here it is.

RB

post-171-1211545174_thumb.jpg

As a matter of fact I do. Here it is.

RB

Thanks! Being somewhat of a purist, I think this is beautiful. The coated specimens are beautiful in an art-object kind of way, but the fossil itself is wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing!!! Wonderful fossils.

I agree. Though the polished, coated articles look nice in their own way, the process of rubbing them down removes part of the fossil. Very nice though.

Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Thanks guys. It would be fantastic if you could pop open these rocks and they would look super wonderful, but mother nature needs some help sometimes to bring out the colors that are really there!!! They look rather dull without any help. And bill, not much material has been removed, just some calcite layers here and there removed to get to much more beautiful layers. I am going to put one on today on the Members Trades and Sales. Check it out.

RB

Hi RB,

I've seen the one you are selling, it and the above are certainly beautiful.

I assume then, that you don't rub them down to show the sutures, as a lot of others do. I just can't agree with coating them with something just to make it prettier. Unless it's primarily to protect the specimen. Just my opinion :)

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi RB,

I've seen the one you are selling, it and the above are certainly beautiful.

I assume then, that you don't rub them down to show the sutures, as a lot of others do. I just can't agree with coating them with something just to make it prettier. Unless it's primarily to protect the specimen. Just my opinion :)

Hey Bill. Everyone thinks differently and has different opinions. Im the same way about certain fossils. But no, I did not take off the shell to show sutures in any way! I left all the shell that was there. I dont care about pretty sutures. The more shell, the better the fossil for me. And Bill, all the big boys such as Black Hills Inst. are doing what im doing to 'improve' the color on these things, but they have specimens in the many many thousands of dollars!!! The thing is, whoever buys this one that I have for sale is getting one heck of a deal! I just need the money so I can pay for my next fossil hunting trip.

RB