Fossil Crabs From Peru

Shamalama

I was looking through the cases at a rock shop recently and they had some unprepped fossil crabs in nodules. The prices were very cheap, around $35 for the largest and you could tell they needed some prep work as they had just been chipped open. Most were in good shape and seemed to have front claws and some of the side legs. My questions is, has anyone heard of fossil crabs from Peru before? I didn't have my camera with me so no pics, sorry. :(

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I was looking through the cases at a rock shop recently and they had some unprepped fossil crabs in nodules. The prices were very cheap, around $35 for the largest and you could tell they needed some prep work as they had just been chipped open. Most were in good shape and seemed to have front claws and some of the side legs. My questions is, has anyone heard of fossil crabs from Peru before? I didn't have my camera with me so no pics, sorry. :(

The most common South American crabs for sale are usually from Argentina where they are not allowed to be exported , fossil crabs have been found in Chile and Peru but are rarely offered for sale. That said ,if the crabs are preppable and $35.00 or less They sound like a good deal!!

Cephalopods rule!!

Hi,

May be they are just chilean nodules with Imaizumila araucana crabs inside.

Sometimes I have seen that, the crabs from Chili but the label indicating Peru...and the price you said may be congruent with them.

Otherwise, the only crabs from Peru that I have seen was recently on ebay and they are little nodules with a litle broken crab inside, type Palaeopinnixa or so.

:)

Ok, I will try and stop by there again this week and pick up a couple so I can post pictures. Thanks MB and Fossisle!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Almost forgot about this until I saw trilospain's post. I purchased the lot of crab fossils and now I need to know what they are?

post-1408-0-32315400-1292596173_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-72204400-1292596182_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-06619500-1292596187_thumb.jpg

They are all in decent enough shape but have small amounts of damage to the claws due to the nodule splitting. Maybe I can find someone to glue and prep a couple of these?

-Dave

Great crabs Dave,

and you only paid $35 for the largest one! Nice!

Now that you've got the specimens perhaps someone can determine whether they are from Peru or Chile.

Good luck with the prep job. I'm interested in seeing the results as I have a few crabs from Vancouver Island that need wok too. Let us know who finally does the prep.

Dan

Almost forgot about this until I saw trilospain's post. I purchased the lot of crab fossils and now I need to know what they are?

post-1408-0-32315400-1292596173_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-72204400-1292596182_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-06619500-1292596187_thumb.jpg

They are all in decent enough shape but have small amounts of damage to the claws due to the nodule splitting. Maybe I can find someone to glue and prep a couple of these?

Maybe this paper can help.

http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/31365/31365.pdf

Shamalama

These seem to be Imaizumila araucana and could come from several sites near the town of Lebu , Chile.

Enter the name in google search and you will come up with pictures and a paper by Schweitzer and Feldmann.

Prepping should not be too hard on these one looks to have great shell already and just needs the claws reglued and prepped down.

nice buybiggrin.gif

Cephalopods rule!!

Shamalama

These seem to be Imaizumila araucana and could come from several sites near the town of Lebu , Chile.

Enter the name in google search and you will come up with pictures and a paper by Schweitzer and Feldmann.

Prepping should not be too hard on these one looks to have great shell already and just needs the claws reglued and prepped down.

nice buybiggrin.gif

I agree with Rick :)

Wow, Thanks for the quick response Fossile! Lebu is certainly not anywhere near Peru but it fits with the "modus operandi" of the guy my shop owner buys from. He said that his guy travels up and down South America buying fossils and minerals from the local miners. Whatever looks good, he brings back with him. So now I just need to find someone who can prep these a bit more.

-Dave

Hey Shamalama

I agree with the assessment of the crabbies. I would say you made out well on that buy. I do alot of crab prep work, so maybe we could work out something. I think Fossile would back up my work. If you are interested in exploring, send me a PM.

Crabfossilsteve

Hey Shamalama

I agree with the assessment of the crabbies. I would say you made out well on that buy. I do alot of crab prep work, so maybe we could work out something. I think Fossile would back up my work. If you are interested in exploring, send me a PM.

Crabfossilsteve

Yes , Steve is a great fossil preparer and I am sure you would be happy with the results.He has prepared many fossil crabs used in scientific papers and lots of beautiful display pieces( which I have a few of,thanks Steve)

Now how to find a similar vendor near me!!

Rick

Edited by fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!