Scolecodonts

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

With further looking, I have discovered the micros I have been finding are Scolecodonts. Scolecodonts are the jaws of polychaete worms

Here is an Arabellites

mag. x50

post-179-1211411368_thumb.jpg

and an unidentified

mag. x50

post-179-1211411382_thumb.jpg

The falx off a large one

mag x25

post-179-1211412348_thumb.jpg

This is great! I'm becoming more and more fascinated with micro fossils; they're a whole new hidden world. You know, it's really the little guys that run the planet! (Plus, a collection doesn't take up much space).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is great! I'm becoming more and more fascinated with micro fossils; they're a whole new hidden world. You know, it's really the little guys that run the planet! (Plus, a collection doesn't take up much space).

Another great thing about micro fossils is that you can go on a hunt through your micro bearing material whenever you want. Plus it's a cheaper experience -- I spent some $30 on gas today driving to a couple of sites in the macro world.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Guest N.AL.hunter

Gosh I hate getting older. I should have known what those were when you first posted them. We studied them in my Paleontology class I took back in the mid 80s. Oh, well... nice finds. Now where are my keys and glasses and wallet...

What is the difference between a scolecodont and a conodont?

Ignorant and unafraid to show it,

Brent Ashcraft

Really Ignorant- I meant graptolites!

ashcraft, brent allen

Ok i know we are all different but im wondering what is interesting about a macro size worm jaw??

Its not display able and itsn ot like you could show it off or sell it.So what gives with Macro worm jaws?

No offense to anyone..

Lowes Farm Krew For Life!

~C*J*J*D*D*G*P~

My Shark Teeth Website.MANSFIELD EXCLUSIVES!!

Guest solius symbiosus
Ok i know we are all different but im wondering what is interesting about a macro size worm jaw??

Its not display able and itsn ot like you could show it off or sell it.So what gives with Macro worm jaws?

No offense to anyone..

Do you mean micro?

Micro fossils are important in determining stratigraphic horizons. Some people devote their entire careers to studying them.

I guess it is whatever "floats your boat".

Why do any of us find any fossil interesting, or worthy of the time, and money, we spend to collect them?