Research Pays Off!

Pool Man

Hello all,

I haven't posted much latley due to spending most of my online time researching. I've known that Megalodon teeth have been found in Northport but after a year of hunting,I had no luck. Then one day I read danwoehr's excelent post of site prospecting. After many hours of reading geologic maps and cross refrencing drill core samples and reading anything about local geology I narrowed down an area and went to work. After two weeks of intensive digging,this is what I have to show :D The biggest one is 3 5/8".

post-148-1211512463_thumb.jpg

post-148-1211512487_thumb.jpg

post-148-1211512580_thumb.jpg

post-148-1211512595_thumb.jpg

I'm totally obssesed now, as you can imagine. But there's not much like the feeling of holding a big meg above your head in the middle of a creek and yelling wooo-hoooo!

post-148-1211512633_thumb.jpg

post-148-1211512642_thumb.jpg

post-148-1211512650_thumb.jpg

Good to hear perseverance pays off, great finds!

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Hey Poolman. Great job and great finds! A little bit of homework is always a good thing.

RB

Pool Man

Ah, the sweet smell of success! Thanks for validating my post. Once you learn and commit to the basic principles of site prospecting you can apply those principles anywhere you live, work, or vacation, so long as there are fossils there. My intention was to help transform more of us into fossil prospectors. The truth of the matter is that if we only go to sites others told us about, chances are they told other people as well, and by the time you get there the site will be experiencing diminishing returns. Best collections are built by those willing to blaze their own trail. Some sites can handle lots of collecting pressure, most can't. Those that can, once you've taken your "finder's fee", if not broadcast publicly, give you an excellent bargaining chip for conducting reciprocal guided trips with other guys who have equally significant sites. I don't know about you, but I try not to collect where everyone else does, and once you get a few sites like this one under your belt, you are in a position to do some high stakes site wheeling and dealing, pole vaulting your personal collection to a much higher level than on your own if you make sure the guys you are dealing with share your ideas of how often the sites should be hit, how many people should visit them, etc. Take my advice and discuss those details openly or deal with the consequences. Deal with trusted people in your site swaps and you'll enjoy continued residual collecting over time. My observation is that the guys who work at it as hard as you do have the most respect for your hard work and are less likely to pillage your sites repeatedly not only out of respect for your hard work, but also because you'll all continue to find your own good sites and thrive on the thrill of discovery. It is much more deeply satisfying to find an undiscovered, undocumented, or underutilized honey hole by the sweat of your brow than to constantly lean on others for sites and be relegated to picking up the scraps. Onward and upward!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Unbelievable! Super finds! Oh, what bourlettes! I had to buy mine off the bay. <_<post-417-1211575830_thumb.jpg

Thanks every one! As an addition, I just found the twin of the nice 3 1/4" to the right of the penny. Cant post the pic yet, my wife dosent know I went after work today :rolleyes:

Ha! Sounds like you have to pull the same snarge I do! Give the wife fuzzy departure and arrival times, sneak in a little fossil hunting, keep tools and boots in the car, even spare clothes if you get sweaty or dirty while doing your thing. Collect enough fossils and she won't know one from the other in the garage...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Yep, thats pretty much the story, LOL. I collect enough with her permision that the unauthorized trip finds go unnoticed. :P

Ha the best way to find a site is to have your beautiful girl friend along,

mind you I had been collecting fossils on this guys farm for 4-5 years and he has never mentioned another fossil site to me, he just got a divorce and wants to get rid of me????

So he's so overwhelmed by the beauty he tells me about a new site, and what a site it is, and no I didn't leave my friend now wife behind like was suggested.

She knows where I am, out fossil collecting, with my electronic leash, ring ring well its time to go home, maybe.

Beautiful finds! Dan Woehr has it right. Work smarter, not harder. And boy you sure did!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Guest Cris

Glad to see your hard work is paying off, Dan :D Sure beats the heck out of that old peace river place, eh? 'course the way you dig....you may have moved a couple hundred tons of dirt for those teeth :P

FANTASTIC, your hard work sure brought some excellent rewards!! Congratulations! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Archived